chapter seven ~ dragon riders

Jaenys had put on her dragon riding attire, which consisted of her black pants, black coat with dragon scales on the shoulders, and her black cape. 

"Hello, Serenys." Jaenys stroked her blue dragon from her cheek, all the way down her neck. The dragon grunted happily as Jaenys climbed onto her. Jaenys took to the skies. The sun was bright, and the sky was blue, making it a perfect day. She jumped, seeing a large shadow appear. It was just Aemond on Vhagar.

"Hello, my princess." Aemond smirked a little.

"Aemond, you scared me!" Jaenys laughed. In all honesty, Aemond's dragon made her nervous. Vhagar was large, far larger than Serenys. Serenys was tiny compared to her. Jaenys dove down, towards the water. Jaenys smiled, remembering their ride together all those years ago.

For Aemond, it was harder to get his dragon to dive quick enough. "We should head back, should we not?"

Jaenys sighed. "I suppose so." They returned, and one of the knights helped Jaenys off her dragon. Jaenys saw her brothers, waiting for her.

"Hello, Sister." Jacaerys bowed his head respectfully. Lucerys smiled at his sister.

"Brothers, what are you doing here?" She looked at them, and clasped her hand neatly together behind her back.

Aemond appeared at her side, and the boys glared.  Jacaerys took her arm, leading her away. "There is a family dinner later... and I feel it will go badly."

She gazed thoughtfully at her brother. "You may be right. Just try to not make any unnecessary conflict. I trust you both... but it's our uncles whom I worry about."

They both nodded. Lucerys gazed into his sister's green eyes. Worry reflected in his. "Jaenys... I'm worried about when my legitimacy to Driftmark is questioned... what if I am truly not meant to be heir?"

Jaenys placed her soothing hand on his shoulder. "I know you are the heir. And, if anyone dares to question it, they'll have to go through me, Jace, Mother, and likely Daemon, as well."

Jacaerys nodded. "Jaenys is right, once again. We won't let it happen. And besides, I'm sure Vaemond is just concerned, and stressed since Lord Corlys isn't well."

"Thank you..." Lucerys smiled at his older siblings.

~~~~~~~~

Jaenys returned to her chambers in which she was staying. A smile spread across her face upon seeing her old maid, Raya, standing there.

"It has been far to long, my princess." Raya politely bowed to her.

"Oh, Raya, it is wonderful to see you!" Jaenys held her hands.

Raya blushed a little in embarrassment. "My princess, I am to get you ready for dinner. I have already drawn you a bath, and I will see to picking you a dress."

"Aww, Raya, it is much appreciated..." Jaenys headed into the bathroom, and untied her corset, allowing it to fall. She peeled her clothes off of her body, and slipped into the warm waters of the bath. The bubble bath smelled of lavender, and the candles added a beautiful glow to the room. 

She moved down, allowing her head to fall into the water, blocking out any external noise. She closed her eyes, taking deep breaths. She was unsure of something. She recalled her kiss with Aemond. There was no doubt; it was a magical kiss. But, she was not sure if she should forgive her betrothed so easily. She sighed, deciding she should get out soon. She drained the bath, and wrapped a soft towel around her soaked skin. She wrung out her curls, and put on her undergarments before returning to where Raya waited with her dress.

It was a midnight-black dress, with intricate embroidered swirls done with white thread. The corset had silky white ribbons, and the same white swirls. The skirt was long and flowed, and when it was on, it looked absolutely magnificent. The sleeves were very long, and nearly touched the floor. The dress was off the shoulders, and Raya chose her black satin gloves, which went up to her elbows. They decided to leave her brown curls down. She looked absolutely stunning by the time dinner was ready.

"Oh, Princess, you look incredible..." Raya smiled widely.

Jaenys grinned, too. "You are too good at this, Raya. You manage to make me look that of a goddess every time."

The maid blushed again. "Princess, your praise truly isn't necessary..."

Another maid came in. "Princess- oh my, you look lovely... Anyway, your brothers are outside, awaiting you."

"I shall be there in a moment, thank you," Jaenys smiled. "Well, you outdid yourself again. I suppose I should be going. Thank you, Raya." Raya dipped her head, and opened the door for her.

"Wow, Jaenys, you look amazing!" Jacaerys smiled at his sister, and Lucerys nodded in agreement.

"Well, let's be off, brothers." And, so, they headed down to the dining hall.