chapter four ~ dancing

A maid lightly knocked on the princess's door, awaiting her permission to enter.

"You may enter." Jaenys's silky voice sounded, and she smiled at the maid.

"Good afternoon, my princess, I am terribly sorry to bother you..." She rubbed her hands together, in a nervous manor.

Jaenys stood up, taking her trembling hands in hers, which were covered by her black satin gloves. "Do not apologize to me, Raya."

Raya smiled at the princess. "Thank you, milady. Your mother has sent me to ready you for dinner." Jaenys nodded. Raya had picked out a dress that was a crimson colour, with golden accents and stitching, and a beautiful bodice to match. The sleeves were long, and hung down, and the matching satin gloves went up to her elbows, leaving none of her arms visible. Her shoulders and collar bone were visible. Raya clasped a golden necklace around her neck, and pinned her brown curls into a half-up hairstyle, with a golden dragon pin.

"You really outdid yourself, Raya." Jaenys smiled at her maid.

She went red with embarrassment. "Your praise is appreciated, milady. Now, allow me to escort you to the dining hall." 

"Thank you very much." Raya took the lead, heading down to where the Targaryens were gathered.

"Princess Jaenys Velaryon, first of her name." One of the knights announced. 

Aemond's cheeks went as red as his niece's dress upon seeing her. He stood up, taking her hand in his, and leaving a gentle kiss on her knuckles. "You look absolutely perfect."

It was now the young princess's turn to blush. "Thank you, Uncle." She took her seat next to him, with Aegon on the other side. Aegon always made her nervous.

Aegon leaned towards her ear. "My brother is certainly correct, you look gorgeous."

Jaenys turned to her uncle, forcing a smile. "Thank you..."

Fortunately, King Viserys stood, and began speaking. "It is truly lovely to see all of my family together like this. Let us say grace before we eat. My Queen, will you do the honours?"

Alicent nodded, and everyone joined hands. After the prayer was said, the music began, and everyone chatted. 

Jaenys looked to her right, feeling a tap on her bare shoulder. "Would you like to dance?" Aemond had his hand outstretched, just begging her to take it. She did, and the two walked over to the empty part of the dining room. They placed their hands together, walking in a circle. They were starting a traditional waltz that most people knew how to perform. Aemond spun her around, and pulled her back against his chest. He spun her again so they were now mere inches apart. Their lips brushed a little, and Aemond's eyes flitted from her green eyes, to her lips. Jaenys's breath increased, as they recovered, and finished the dance. They returned to their seats, Jaenys still blushing a little from what had just happened.

Jaenys sipped at her drink, which was not wine, as she was not yet of age. Neither was Aemond, so they had to make do. Eventually, dinner ended, and Jaenys and Aemond walked together in the direction of their quarters.

"Um... so about what happened during our dance..." Aemond's eyes met Jaenys's, and they stopped walking.

"What about it?" Jaenys smiled.

He sighed. "Nothing, I just wanted to know what you thought."

"You left me breathless. I don't think I've felt that way before..." Jaenys nervously twirled the charm on her necklace around in between her index and middle finger.

"I'm glad I didn't scare you. Well, good night, my princess." Aemond smirked, leaving a gentle kiss, even more gentle than the one he placed on her knuckles earlier, onto her rosy cheek. As the prince walked away, she pressed her hand against her cheek that had now flushed scarlet. She smiled, knowing that this was the feeling of love... a feeling she had never experienced before.