𑁍Fewer bruises this time𑁍 Mary

1048 words ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometimes, you wondered why Mary even looked at you.

You weren't even an elite gambler, for fuck's sake. Despite practically growing up together, neither of you had spared the other any time until Yumeko transferred into the Academy and befriended you, taking Mary on in a gamble and becoming victorious, being a bystander whilst Yumeko took on more gambles, and just making nice, polite small talk rather than staring at a wall. She hadn't forgotten about you when you were first accepted into Hyakkaou Private Academy, either, making herself present wherever you happened to be. It'd been nice at first, listening to her gambles over lunch, having one of the more popular gamblers personally escort you to class, until... it wasn't, anymore.

Until Mary wasn't nice, anymore.

Like now, for example, as she kept you hostage in the otherwise empty hall. The last bell had rung minutes ago, meaning that you'll get back home late, again. But, Mary already new that, smirking down at you, gaze lingering on the white cast wrapped around your arm. She must've known you'd been hospitalized (for a full week, no less), all because she'd had the nerve to shove you down a fucking flight of stairs- 

"So, did you miss me?" She asked, her voice drawing you out of your thoughts. Her tone was mocking, her smugness practically audible. But, then again, when wasn't it? "Because I really missed you. I mean, who am I supposed to kick around when my favorite punching bag's being a lazy piece of shit and not showin' up to our little gambling sessions?"

You just sighed, attempting to walk past her. You weren't surprised when a hand lashed out, grabbing your shoulder and pilling you against the wall. But, that didn't make the smell of smoldering fabric pleasant, either. "It's my first day back, Mary," You sighed, closing your eyes and fighting the frustration you always felt during these little 'spats' of yours. Usually, you'd insult her back, or put up more of a fight, but today, you were just... tired. Or, not in the mood for a struggle, at least. "Can this wait until tomorrow? You can embarrass me in front of my friends, spill something and stain my last clean blazer. I don't really care."

Mary shook her head, her smirk becoming a little more forced, a little more strained. Even through the thick fabric of your uniform, you could feel her nails digging into your skin, blunt but threatening to draw blood. Still, you weren't sure if it was intentional. Judging from how focused Mary was on not showing her distress, it couldn't have been. "No, no, sweetheart, that's not how this works. You don't get to fucking choose when we spend time together."

Resting a hand on her, you nudged at her arm, just wanting this to be over. "Look, it's not my fault you're so-"

Before you could finish, you were on the floor, Mary's foot on your cast and her smirk gone, replaced by a deep, stubborn scowl. You were stunned, for a moment, both by the air suddenly knocked from of your lungs and the idea that she was attacking you. Not bullying, not 'accidentally' pushing, not harassing, attacking. You opened your mouth, ready to scream for a staff member, but Mary was much louder than you.

"You don't fucking get it! This is your fault!" She was nearly yelling, tears beginning to fall as she wiped furiously at her cheeks, not daring to let anything touch the ground. "You're the one who starting ditching me to walk home with those bullshit friends of yours, telling me you were too busy to talk. What was I supposed to do, just let you ignore me? It's like you don't even like me. This isn't my fault!"

"Mary, I..." You trailed off, not knowing what to say and letting her collect herself, slowly catching her breath as you pried your arm from under her shoe. Mary didn't try to continue or cut you off, simply reaching down, offering you a hand. Hesitantly, you took it, if only to avoid another outburst. "I... I'm sorry, I guess." The words felt wrong. You were the one with a broken arm, for fuck's sake. But... you just wanted to go home, honesty be damned. "You don't have to be an asshole to get my attention, y'know. And I still want to be your friend, if you're alright with that."

Her voice was still shakey, when she spoke, cracking and catching in her throat. "You don't fucking get it. I shouldn't have expected a dumbass like you to understand anything." With a frown tugging at your lips, you tried to pull your hand out of her hold, only for Mary to clamp down harder. Again, you moved to say something, only for Mary to jerk your arm towards her, catching your lips with hers and forcing you into a one-sided, messy, rushed kiss. You froze, allowing Mary properly filter her aggression, fingers embedding themselves in your hair as she tried to pull you into something closer, more intimate. But, a door opening somewhere down the hall, a teacher you didn't recognize calling out soon after, forced Mary away from you, even if she refused to let go of your hand.

You were too stunned to speak, allowing the woman to scan over you, smiling as he tucked a loose strand of hair behind your ear. "Mary?" You asked, your voice meeker than it would've liked. She only hummed in response, and you reluctantly continued. "What the hell was that?"

"...my confession," She admitted, smiling for the first time since your short-lived friendship. She turned, tugging you forward, and still in a daze, you followed her. "You're mine, now. And I'm not going to share you with any of those bastards, not anymore."

Again, you shook your head, refusing to believe her. Mary couldn't say something like that, Mary couldn't do something like that. "No, no you bullied me-"

You were interrupted by a laugh, the same low, deep chuckle she'd always let out when she was tormenting you. She didn't pity you with a response, but you weren't sure if you wanted her to.

She was still tormenting you all right. You'd just walk away with fewer bruises, this time.