𑁍Her arms around you at last𑁍 Mary

1159 words                                                                                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Every night, Mary Saotome found her way back to your door. Back to you.

It was no secret to the Hana class of Hyakkaou Private Academy that Mary went to bed earlier than anyone else, so dedicated she was to her gambling tricks and madness. But what they didn't know was that ever since the dorms had been constructed, Mary had been going to bed even earlier than she had at home, all for this reason. All so that each night, after everyone else had finally fallen asleep, you included, she would wake up and come to you.

Those first few weeks of her ritual, Mary had only stood outside your door, listening carefully to hear your steady breathing from within your room. Hearing you comforting her, reassured her that you were safe, that you wouldn't be taken away from her. She wouldn't admit it for the life of her, but Mary craved that reassurance, needed it after she was so close to loosing you to the housepet system. And so, night after night, for an hour or two, Mary stood guard outside your bedroom door.

It was fate, she had decided, that your dorm room had been placed so close to her. It was the world showing that it knew that she would not allow you to be kept from her. Besides, with your room so close to hers, any other students who so happened to see her by your door would easily be assuaged by her excuse that she was on her way to the bathroom. Before long though, Mary no longer had to worry that any of her peers might see her standing vigil outside your door. Not when the temptation to make her way into your room grew too strong to resist.

Mary had tried to keep herself from crossing that next line, had tried to ignore that craving to stand over you while you slept, both from guilt and from knowing the risk that you might wake. But the need had gnawed at her, reminding her how easily she had been ripped away from you, until she gave in. From there it was simply a matter of learning how to pick your lock, a skill that Mary worked tirelessly to perfect. And from then on, spent at least an hour each night watching over you before pulling herself away and dragging herself back to bed. Some nights though, when her memories of being torn away from you moved closer, she found himself staying longer.

As Mary stalked silently down the hallway to your room, she wondered if this would be one of those nights. If she had things her way, she would stay beside you all night long, would hold you in her arms as you slept. You weren't ready for that though, as much as she wished that you were. Her wishes were soon forgotten though, when she finally reached your door and heard the sound of your crying behind it.

Mary only took half of a split second to think things through, to consider the risks and dismiss them. Even though her instincts reminded her that you might suspect what she had been doing, or worse, resent her for intruding, she refused to listen to them. She couldn't risk listening to them, not when you so clearly needed her. But when she turned the knob of your door, she found it locked.

"Open up," Mary growled through the door, still twisting the knob as if it might sense her desperation and let her in. "I know you're awake Y/N, so open this goddamn door."

Your quiet sobs stopped at the sound of Mary's voice, and yet she did not hear any footsteps making their way towards the door. Shoving against it violently, she wondered if she should just risk your questions and pick the damn lock. She would give you one last chance, Mary decided. And if you didn't take it, she didn't care. She wouldn't leave you alone like this.

"If you don't open this door, I'll wake up our whole fucking class if I have to. And then you can explain to all of them why you're crying," She hissed with a snarl. Beneath her frustration, Mary wondered if you would sense her lies and call her bluff. If you knew that she would sooner blow up the damn door than share you with anyone else. Apparently not, she noted with no small relief as she heard your approaching footsteps. Indeed, she only had to wait a moment more before you opened up the door, your tear-filled eyes staring at her with a mix of shock and confusion.

"What the hell are you doing here? How did you get into my dorm-" you asked her, your voice still shaky. Ignoring your question, Mary barreled past you, making her way into your room and shutting the door behind her.

"Who did this?" she demanded roughly. "Who made you cry?"

"No one, I'm fine."

"Don't give me that shit. I'm just supposed to believe that you're crying for the fun of it? Someone made you cry. Tell me who, and I'll ruin them-."

"Why were you even listening?" you shot back, wiping away some of your tears. Then, seeing Mary open her mouth, no doubt to repeat her own question, you added, "I'll tell you if you tell me."

"I was heading to the bathroom," She answered innocently with a convincing roll of her golden eyes. "And your crying wasn't exactly hard to miss."

"Oh."

"Well?"

"Well, what?" you said absentmindedly, hoping that Mary might just get bored and walk away.

"You know what. Why the fuck were you crying?"

Biting your lip, a rising heat made its way up to your face, warming your cheeks as you considered your answer. While you did so though, Mary caught the quick glance you shot towards your bed. Looking there herself, she scanned over the dented pillows and rumpled bed sheets, and finally saw the book still laid open, page down on your bed. If it were anyone else, Mary realized as she turned back towards you, she would have scoffed, would have taunted them for crying like a baby over something that wasn't even real. But it wasn't anyone else, it was you. So when her gaze found you again, silver still lining your eyes as she watched you steel yourself for the jeers you thought were about to come, Mary felt her heart crack.

"It was a really sad part, I couldn't help it" you muttered, lowering your eyes.

"I know," She said simply as she took your chin in her calloused hand and tilted your gaze back up to her. "C'mon, you can tell me all about it."

So shocked by her words, you didn't protest as Mary pulled you back towards your bed. And still you didn't protest as she settled there beside you, her arms around you at last.