•3

Imlie was attending her Socio-Eco lecture. It was almost ending and she was eagerly taking down notes.

She could hear some whispers from behind...however, unfortunately for her, she was not new to this.

Ever since her marriage again, she was accustomed to getting a lot of stares and judgement.

All her classmates were curious about her new husband, and would try to purposely strike conversations—but she would rarely indulge in divulging anything to flame more gossip.

As the lot behind her were speaking in muffled voices, she could still hear bits and parts of their conversation...

"It seems he is very rich...."

"Ya na? Isn't she from the village, like how?..."

"Dude, I don't know what he sees in her..."

Imlie had tried hard to fight back tears.

She always had to remind herself as to why was she there. She was here to prove her mettle, not to be bogged down by these comments. Her journey would be a long road along but she wouldn't give up.

Just then, she was approached by a cool, friendly voice. She turned to her side to see a bubbly girl with short hair, who had just approached her.

She had her hand held out and she spoke in a soft tone.

"Hey, don't mind them ...ok? They have no better work than to put others down. I am very impressed with they way you have managed everything, inspite of the marriage and all."

Imlie now gave her a broad smile, she was thoroughly touched by her kindness.

"And may I know your kind name?"

"Yes, I'm Kiara. I've taken up this degree as my passion is journalism and I'm looking forward to going to the States for my higher education."

"You are...Imlie right?" She said with an almost chuckle.

"I remember your name because of its....uniqueness."

Imlie laughed at that.

"Yes well, you wouldn't be the first one. It was really nice to meet you. I was wondering...uh, after this lecture there's a break of 15 minutes, would you like to get some snacks or something?" Imlie asked with a keen look at her new acquaintance.

"Yes of course, I mean...it's not like I interact with anyone much here...so why not?"

Once the lecture was over, Imlie and Kiara headed to the corner shop and bought some snacks.

She was thoroughly overjoyed at having a friend for once who didn't pry or ask her about her married life, husband, or wealth for that matter—she was happy with how Kiara shared having similar goals like her.

Finding some common humour, they cracked jokes and headed for the next lecture.