•7

Aryan didn't know where he was walking or what he was going to do next. He simply needed to get away from her for now—before he said something worse. He needed that space.

He didn't believe, deep down, she was doing this for anybody else—but he wasn't sure of the extent of what she felt for him.

In 6 months, they may have rekindled their friendship to a certain extent, but he knew Imlie was always going to stay loyal to that family.

Even before him. That was the part that annoyed him.

He sat in his car and took off—glancing at the speed limit once, desperate to not pay heed to it any further.

He sped along, as his thoughts flashed by: his jiju, his sister, their mom...all of them so happy. Him getting pampered by his jiju.
Ma always siding with Di.

He brought a hand to his face to stop a lone tear from escaping. He missed him so much.

He never thought he could feel any happiness again...until SHE entered.

His ray of light.

But was she ever truly his?

He banged the steering wheel in anger with the way his thoughts were going.

He remembered all the times she laughed and cracked her silly jokes, her smile, her eyes, her Payal....he suddenly stopped the car.

He did not want to fight with her. He hated this feeling more than anything—the distance.

But he also couldn't let go of the person who was responsible for all this—no, that bloody man will pay!

The anger rising up again, he decided to ride his car , not knowing what destination he's reaching.

——————————

Imlie was now laying on the sofa—her eyes wide open. She had already checked the house once and had just planned on going out again.

She had hesitantly picked up the phone but didn't know how to continue their conversation. She had tried to sleep—hoping to find him on the bed in some time, but to no avail.

She started pacing about the room—her hand itching to send a message.

She knew he needed his space as well, so she was conflicted.

She glanced at the watch. It had been 3 hours since their angry encounter—she was now visibly worried.

She picked up the phone to dial his number, when she almost gasped at seeing him near the door.

His hair was ruffled by the wind and he looked considerably calmer. She waited patiently for him to say something, as she seen him approach the bed.

He then turned quietly to her and said, "You should be asleep."

So saying he quietly laid his head down and turned his back to sleep.

Imlie felt a pang of relief that he was now safe home and next to her—nothing else mattered for now.

—————————

Next morning, at the breakfast table, Arpita looked questionably at Aryan and Imlie.

Both were stealing glances from each other and both, unreasonably quiet. She had expected this from her brother—but not Imlie.

Imlie was looking at him like she had so many questions to ask while Aryan was just eager to finish his plate and leave.

Once they were done, they left in the car—he was to drop her to college. She looked at him once or twice, trying to start a topic—but faltered.

He then asked her slowly, "How's your research coming up on the interview piece? That lady—she's a tough nut to crack. There's a lot riding on this piece."

Aryan said this casually, like nothing had transpired between them in the last couple of hours.

She was however, glad at having a topic to talk about. "Yes I've begun my research. Pia is helping me out—she's told me that she's very picky and choosy but also effortlessly free with her comments. I also wanted to tell you—"

Imlie was cut short.

"We have reached. Take care." He told her non chalantly.

Imlie was slightly disappointed at this and left the car with a sigh.

Aryan was going to be very minimalistic in their conversations from now on—she had sensed it at the breakfast table, but now it was more obvious. It would only pertain to work, if anything, or nothing else.

No teasing, no flirtatious conversations—  which they had going on for some weeks now.

She sighed heavily again and went to her lecture, hoping she would meet Kiara soon.