chapter ten

Roman's POV:

He's bored. He has to be, me declining his offer cannot be the only reason he is being so petty. "Make a move and she dies", he says. I hear a loud sigh of annoyance and a fast movement goes on beside me.

I then heard a body drop. Ivy threw the kitchen knife she was holding at the man's neck. Elise was wiping the spot that dripped of blood. I stepped forward for her but she stopped me with the rise of her hand.

"I'm fine", she reassures. I was enraged, I turned around for my father but the windows busted open. More people wearing black were fucking zip-lining in my house.

"I take it back", I hear Isaac say.

There were at least what looked like twenty men. Before we could even react smoke bombs were being thrown in. "Cover!" Ivy yelled and I quickly grabbed Elise and followed Isaac and Ivy. We were sitting behind the island in the kitchen covering our faces.

"So, I'm going to guess this is normal for you", Elise coughs. "yes and no", I respond, looking around for Isaac. After a few seconds the smoke cleared and the lights were out, except for the few little lights in the hallways and kitchen.

"Rome!" someone whisper-yelled.

I feel a slight tug on the back of my shirt and Elise was directing me to Isaac, Ivy was stuffing more knifes in her pockets and boots. "Roman!" my father roared. He was close, this house isn't that big so he'll probably find us soon.

"We need to move", Elise whispers. "Eager, are we?" I taunt but she gives me a serious look. When Isaac caught my attention he started moving his hands, telling me where to go. He wanted me to go straight for the men that were already near.

Idiot.

I shake my head and point right at the stairs that go down to the training room. Better there to get weapons than go in blind. He nods and we all move at once. Ivy shuts locks the door and I press buttons on the wall that open up a rack of guns.

Ivy started loading a gun and I was fitting whatever could fit in the waistline of my sweats. When I looked across the room for Elise I saw Issac pointing a gun at one of the targets on the wall. He showed her how to shoot and load it.

"Alright! Let's do this" he said, sounding like we were going into battle. Although I guess we kind of are. She nods and looks worried but walks up to me. "You okay?" I ask in a low voice. She blinks a few times before answering. "Not really, he's wants to kill me. I never get a break", she sighs.

That's how it is most of the time and then you'll miss it when your bored. "But no matter, I guess you say I signed up for this. Literally", she whispered when she literally.

I could see her hand shaking around the gun and the other was balded up in her hand, no doubt digging her nails in her palm. "Just stay close to me," I say. There was a bang on the door. Then another.

Elise jumped a bit at the first one.  "We need to go", Ivy warned. "Tell me about it", Isaac mumbled went for the door. "Do not go straight in for them, there's too many so we might as well just leave through the back", I tell him.

Isaac waved me off and opened the door. As soon as he did multiple gunshots were everywhere but they stopped when all came out. Is he gone? "What's happening?" Ivy whispers.

Issac was first to leave and walk down the hallway and back into the foyer. Ivy, Elise and I followed him and they were all on the ground. "I think their dead", Issac said, kicking a body. I turned around to check on Elise and she was staring at something in the corner.

When I looked I saw a man in all black standing by the window, I couldn't see his face though. "Who the hell is that" Issac walked closer but the man just jumped out of the window.

"Maybe he killed them all", Ivy said. "Doubt it", Issac disagreed and folded his arms. "Get rid of these", I say talking about the dead people on the floor, probably bleeding. But I didn't see Ares anywhere.

Ivy was helping Isaac and Elise wasn't beside me anymore. I spun around looking and I saw her down the hall sitting on the couch. Her head was in her hands and I actually didn't know what to do, I'm not that great at comforting people.

I sat next to her and when she lifted her head I saw her red eyes. "Their dead, if your worried about them coming for you", I say. She wiped underneath her eyes and clamped her hands. "I need a break, this cannot be the rest of my life. Constantly being targeted and hurt I..." she was clearly stressed and the only thing I could think about was easing that.

"I understand, you should get some sleep and tomorrow, I'll fix everything." I say, taking her hand and standing her up.

* * * * * * * * * * * *