chapter twenty

Roman's POV:

I had to take care of someone. Correction: I need to kill the Don of the Italian mafia. But I don't want to leave Elise, especially after her breakdown in the shower.

I was sitting in my room watching her sleep. She kept shifting around and had a displeased look on her face. I hate them. I hate Gabriel, I hate Ares, I hate those three boys, I hate what they did, I hate how they left her.

They're all dead and I still hate them all. It's so much hate and anger inside me right now I don't know what to do, the littlest thing might set me off like a landmine.

"Hey! I've been knocking, haven't you hear me?" Isaac burst into the room, I want to slap him because he could've woken her up. "No. I didn't", I state.

I get up and push him out into the hallway, whilst I'm holding the door cracked talking to him.

"What do you want?" I said angrily. "Planes ready, you should get going", he says. I shake my head. "She'll be fine, I'm here and so is Ivy", He reassured me.

"No! She's not and only I can be here for her", I shot back. He's just staring at me. "Call off the plane and hold this mission, I can kill him anytime", I instructed and went back in, closing the door all the way.

I hear his footsteps in the distance and take notice of Elise in bed. I feel for her. I watch her shift some more before breathing heavily and fisting her pillow.

She starts to whimper and her face looks bad, like she might cry. I move to the bed beside her and put my hand on her shoulder.

She jumps awake, looking frightened and trembling. Did I mention I hate this?

She looks me in the eyes and hides her face in my chest, grabbing the bottom of the shirt.

"No no no no no", she whispers softly. I pull her close and put my hand on the back of her head and the other on her back. "Your safe here, your home", I say.

She stays in place for a few minutes and takes deep breaths. "I'm sorry", she whispers. I'm going to pull my hairs out if she keeps saying sorry.

"I'm hungry", she manages to say. Without hesitation I slither from under her and go to the kitchen.

There's no one here and Ivy is asleep so I think of what I can make. Maybe an omelet? Or a grilled cheese?

And maybe some more hot chocolate.

I made it all.

When I came back to the room she was sitting up pressing buttons on the television remote. "You okay?"I ask her. She nods and I place the tray in front of her.

Her eyes jump a little and then dart to me. "You made this?" She asks sounding surprised. I smile halfway and answered her with a yes.

She reaches for the fork and cuts into the omelet. She's chewing and chewing before telling me what she thinks.

"It's really good", she smiles. I missed that, her smiles. I don't know what to do, I'm just sitting here sorta watching her eat.

I'm clueless.

"Did you know.... I thought you were never going to find me", she says out of the blue. Why?

"What do you mean? You thought I didn't care or that I was incapable of bringing you back?" I questions.

She takes a while and just stares at the food. "Both", she shrugged. I don't have much to say about that. "You should never think that, I'll always care about you and I'll always have me to protect you", I tell her.

She's staring at her food yet she's smiles and nods lightly. "I'm sorry", she says. "Stop saying sorry there's nothing you have to be sorry about!" I say harshly.

I really didn't mean too it's just I don't understand.
She doesn't move or flinch like she use to she just stays smiling.

Elise opened her mouth but shut it quickly, she was definitely going to say sorry again.

_____________

After she finished her food she demanded we sit and watch Star Wars considering I've never seen the movies.

She says not watching was would a plague on my life. But laying here with her I think she's feeling better, not me though.

I'm feeling worse.

She's got her head on my chest and hugging a stuffed animal from her room. My throat is choked up, my limbs are stiff and my heart won't stop beating.

I know she can hear it.

But I used to have this thought that yeah so what if both our pasts are dark, maybe they were meant to be so godamn broken so that when we met we would fit so well together.

Maybe I still think that. "Are you okay?" I hear her ask. Something is twisting up in my stomach. I've would say it's feeling, Isaac would say it's last nights dinner.

"Yeah", I brush off and lift my arms behind my head. "Your heart is beating pretty fast", she responds with a slight laugh.

"You...make me nervous", I was hesitant at first. "A bad nervous?" She asks. "A great nervous", I say. She lifts her head up to look at me for a while before scooting closer and laying her arm around my abdomen.

My stomach twists even more. We let the movie play out and she goes in chronicle order of the movies, we're now on number four.

We've also gone through three bags of popcorn and made Isaac run to the store for candy. I didn't eat candy because I rather not have my teeth fall out before I'm even 70.

But Elise had a lot and I think she's a little annoyed with me at moment. I kept asking her if she was okay and she would always respond with 'yes, good, great, and fine'

She said many of those before I decided to stop asking because she did seem a little okay to me.

But I'm not gonna stop worrying.

______________