chapter twenty - eight

Elise's POV:

When I pulled off the mask I wanted to scream. But all I did was sit there with my mouth open. I looked away then back again.

Gunnar, blood coming from his nose and his eyes open. How did he even get here, how was he even involved?

I covered my mouth and felt my throat close up. A thousand pins sticking me in the throat and my eyes burning.

"Elise!" Roman shouted, his voice sounding distant as if he was down the hall. I didn't answer. I carefully put both hands on the rod and watched as they shook when I pulled it out.

I could just feel my lips trembling while I held onto Gunnar's arm. I heard footsteps behind me but I was still focused on my brother dead.

Was he the one fighting Roman? "How, What is he doing here", I whisper. "Elise", Roman said. "It..it's Gunnar, did you know it was him?" I looked behind me up at Roman.

He didn't say anything, he was just staring at me. "He said something an I figured it was him", he spoke up. I looked away from him and let the tears fall.

"Elise I wasn't sure for real and I wasn't going to let him kill me", he continued. Another brother dead. And I finally thought I found some sort of peace or that this year wouldn't be as bad as all the ones before.

Guess I was wrong.

"Let go of me!" Someone shouted. I turned around to Isaac holding an arm twisting behind the persons back. Ivy doing the same to the other arm.

"Who is that?" I asked. "Zander", Roman said. I wiped my tears and stood to my feet. Leaving him in the living room I followed Isaac and Ivy.

They were going outside. I watched Isaac kick the back of Zander's knees to make him fall. Sage and Ivy were quick to tie him to the bar railing.

The night was still cold and I was getting goosebumps.

Sage and Ivy exchanged looks like they didn't know what to do. Isaac broke the awkwardness by punching Zander's face.

He was dramatic and raised his head slowly, his dark disgusting eyes meeting mine. I was surprised. Part of me wanted to run to my room and lock the door. the other part wanted to just push him off the rail.

"Why aren't you dead", I say to him. He laughs which makes my body shiver. "Try and try, you will never succeed", he says.

Sage and Ivy looked cringed out and Isaac just stared at him. "Who the hell does this guy think he is", Isaac said witch disgust.

I felt a hand touch my lower back and looked over my shoulder to see Roman. I stepped forward to get away from his touch. I had no desire to be touched right now.

Too many emotions going around, mostly anger and sadness.

"Can we just kill him, he obviously isn't going to tell us anything", Sage says. Isaac raises a finger at a her telling her to hush.

"Didn't I burn your little house to the ground?", He asked Zander. Zander gave an angry glare, "Yes you did, killing my younger brothers leaving me alive, sucky job actually."

Isaac punches him once again.

"Can you guys excuse us, please?" I asked everyone. They hesitated but eventually left. I looked behind to see if Roman went with them and he hadn't.

"I'm staying", he insisted. I shook my head no. "I'll be fine, he's tied up and I just want to ask him a question", I tell Roman.

He opened his mouth to go against me but I stopped him. "Just ten minutes, please?" I asked. He looked so unsure and kept staring at Zander.