chapter twenty-two

Elise's POV:

This morning Gunnar called, telling me about his birthday brunch and how much he wanted me there.

He also said I could bring whoever I wanted. I mean I can go right? My father is dead so I'm fine. At least I think.

Roman is in the basement so I'll just ask him what he thinks. I place my plate in the sink and go downstairs.

He's punching the bag and sweating a lot. But stops because he's noticed me. "Hey, what's up", he says.

"It's Gunnar's birthday and he's invited me to his birthday dinner", he cuts me off but I don't think it's intentional.

"Are you asking me if your allowed to go to your brothers birthday? Because you don't have to ask"

I laugh a bit because I'm nervous for some reason. "No, I'm asking if you think it's safe", I say.

He takes a minute to respond. He sips his water bottle and nods lightly.  "Yeah, you should be good", he answers.

I also nod in agreement. "Do you want to go with me?" I ask him. Without hesitation he says sure. I couldn't control my smile and tried to play it off.

"Good, well I'm going to get dressed and you should probably shower because I can smell you from here"

He lifts his arm and sniffs. "I don't smell anything", he shrugs and starts inching towards me. "You stink of sweat" I raise a hand trying to stop him.

Roman keeps coming closer until he's got his arms around my shoulders. "No this is the smell of hardwork", he grins.

"Eww", I shout and squirm until I'm free. That's disgusting. "Ok I'll shower and be done in a few", he laughs and then follows me out.

______________

I borrowed a spaghetti strap white dress from Sage, who knew we'd be the same size. I also borrowed simple heels from Ivy.

I was putting on my necklace from Luca when Roman peeled through my door. "Just seeing if you're ready?" He says.

I grab my phone and we left the house.

For some reason the more and more we got closer to my family house the more I felt nervous. And then while being in that headspace I hadn't realized we were already here.

My door opened and Roman had his hand out. I took it and he asked if I was okay. I obviously said yes.

Walking into the house I immediately wanted to leave. Looking at the stairs I would climb as a child, and the same ones I would tumble down at the expense of my father.

There were a few people chatter and people in the kitchen cooking. They looked like catiers or something.

The back door was open to the yard where the people were. Some of these people I recognized others I didn't.

I forgot how pretty my backyard could actually be. I didn't even see Gunnar until he popped up behind me.

Without warning he just pulle me into a very tight hug. "So glad your here", he said. He let go gently and looked at Roman like he wanted a hug but Roman held out his hand. "Happy birthday", I smile.

They shook and Gunnar says, "My new brother!"

"In law", Roman corrected. "Hey you wanna see mom?" Gunnar asked me. I was honestly afraid to see how she would react.