16

Third person POV

It's been a few days since the battle in the mirror sea, those days were used to regroup and recover from fight. Naturally the IronBlood ships were adept at combat, and got back on their feet in record time.

Except for our little potato.

Kartoffel had been drifting in and out of consciousness, of course the main care taker was still Friedrich, however the "nurses" which was just other shipgirls with a proficiency in healthcare, and Manjuus of course.

For most shipgirls, having your wisdom cube removed is similar to having a vital organ taken out, survivable, but ill-advised.

For Kartoffel however, ripping out her wisdom cube would give her the same feeling of having your innards scoop out with a giant spoon. Incredibly uncomfortable, and agonizing.

Sadly everyone who was taking care of her didn't know that, and simply assumed that she'd be fine in a couple days.

It had already been 7 days on the dot, however today seemed to be even more depressing than it already was, thunder and rain was heard outside of Kartoffel's hospital room.

Kartoffel herself was conscious, for now, and she was using this time to try read a book about baking.

This was naturally given to her by Friedrich, or "mother" depending on your stature.

Sadly little Kartoffel could barely read out anything in the book, not because it was german! Her name was already a pretty big hint of what language she first learnt, but the real reason she couldn't read was because her vision was blurry, like wearing a pair of unclean glasses.

Truthfully, she was actually struggling to hold up the book as well, her own arms felt like as though they would give out under the weight of a book any second now.

She let out a tired sigh and dropped the book, letting her arms relax.

Before Kartoffel could close her eyes and try to get some rest, a gentle knock was heard from the door, letting out a soft "come in" the door opens to reveal Friedrich holding a box in her hands. The battleship made her way towards her "child" and sat down on a stool just besides the bed.

Friedrich : how are you holding up my child? Are you still tired?

Kartoffel : mm... Yea, i can't really- *yawn* hold up a book for too long...

Friedrich's faced shifted to sadness for a split second, before going back to her neutral smiling face. Kartoffel couldn't even tell that her face had shifted expressions due to her blurred vision.

Friedrich : no need to be upset my dear, here, i brought you a box of homemade chocolates that we could share! Would you like some?

Even with blurred vision and hindered motor function, Kartoffel's eyes still shined with the brightness of a small star, as mature as she was, sometimes, a child still loves their sweets. Friedrich didn't even need to see the nod to know she wanted some, a mother knows their child the best afterall.

Opening the box of chocolates, Friedrich grabbed a small ball of chocolate and put it near Kartoffel's mouth.

Friedrich : now open wide and say "ah"!

Kartoffel did as told and was rewarded with a chocolate ball, which melted in her mouth, causing the little girl's cheeks to perk up.

She truly loved her sweets.

Of course Friedrich ate some herself-, well, more like ate more since she may have eaten a small pile of chocolates before bringing them to her daughter.