Chapter 3

Chapter 3

After morning church services, Daisy asks Clarke to take his sisters out to eat since she needs to head to work, "Hey Clarke, would you care to take your sisters somewhere like DQ or maybe Captain D's? Here's my credit card. Get whatever y'all want. I need to meet with the sales representative from Alpha Pharmaceuticals and work on the schedule for the floor staff. Love you guys, oh, and Clarke, khaki cargo shorts and a button-up dress shirt for church, seriously."

Daisy walks away as the clinking from her Gucci high heels gets further away. Amber sees Clarke smirking, "Yeah, I don't think mom would have approved had I worn the shirt I have on underneath," he remarks, unbuttoning the shirt to expose a black South Pole shirt with a blood-covered skull on it.

"Mom would've certainly choked you if you wore that inside," Amber mentions as she unzips her purse for a comb to fix her hair from the frizz in the air, "Listen, after we eat, Dale is stopping by to show off his new skateboard and some of the tricks he's learning. No offense, but I'm not being every other girl in this town who dates a football jock," Amber says snarkily.

"None taken; when have you ever seen me with a serious girlfriend? I don't want, or need, anyone tying me down here. Honestly, if it wasn't for dad's legacy of being an all-state tight end, I wouldn't play. I've come to hate football, but it's an easy scholarship, so mom can focus on yours and Casey's college funds," Clarke blurts out and makes sure no one overheard.

Thankful the coast is clear, Clarke unlocks the passenger side door and holds it open for his sisters. Casey slides passed the front passenger seat and buckles in, but she isn't thrilled to smell the musk in the car's rear, "Clarkey, when's the last time you cleaned your car?" she asks.

"Do you want the truth?"

Amber slaps her brother in the rib, "No. Lie to the poor girl. Geesh, you're a moron."

Casey giggles. Clarke rushes around the car to get in his seat before he answers, "I haven't detailed this thing since I got it from mom. It was dad's car. I guess I don't mind the musk smell anymore because of all the years I sat in here waiting to drive it. From what mom's told me, dad found this on the side of the road and fell in love with it. He fixed the blown head gasket and had the transmission overhauled. She doesn't run quite as good as it did when he drove it, but it's dad's car, so I had to have it."

There's a moment of silence until Clarke cranks the engine and then drops the shifter in gear. Lunch is spent at Dairy Queen, enjoying lunch in the bright afternoon sun and listening to the birds chirp. Clarke enjoys a ghost pepper burger with onion rings and a Sprite, while Amber and Casey order the chicken strip basket with white gravy as a condiment over ketchup or mustard. Amber is polite enough to dump the wrappings into the trash can, but she taps Clarke on the shoulder, "Gimme mommy's card; I want an Oreo blizzard."

"Only if Casey wants a treat," Clarke replies, picking on his sister.

"Please, bubby! Can I get something?" Casey asks, using her big eyes to be adorable.

Leaning over, Clarke takes his mother's credit card, handing it to Amber, "Do you want anything?" she asks.

"You know what, a medium watermelon slush sounds great; thanks, Amber."

Inside, the girls enjoy the feel of cool air blasting them from above. Amber orders a small Oreo blizzard treat and Clarke's slushy, but she's surprised at Casey, "I want a banana split with hot fudge, please!"

The cashier smiles at Casey's innocent little voice, places the order, and proceeds to make everything herself. The girls take around two minutes to walk out to the outside patio, where Clarke is texting and locks his phone after the door swings open.