Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Nearly a week after the assault, Clarke's released to go home. Sore and frustrated by being stuck in his room for a few extra days, Clarke is relieved when Steven takes him to practice. Coach Greene refuses to allow him to participate in exercises or get into uniform.

"How are you feeling?" Coach Greene asks, sitting with Clarke in the locker room.

Sighing, Clarke struggles not to grab his side, "Coach, I'd be lying through my teeth if I said it doesn't hurt. I have a doctor's appointment after practice today. With any luck, he'll tell me about how long I'll be out of action."

Waving his hand to keep Clarke's attention, Coach Greene explains, "Your starting spot is safe. I just need you to heal and take it easy. Until you're medically cleared, you can go between the press box and the field. I want you to film practice and occasionally help Coach Moss draw up some new plays."

"I can do that, coach. Sorry, I let you and the team down."

"You've done no such thing! The rumor is around town is that you stopped your sister from being raped by her boyfriend and friends. Even if a fraction of that is true, then you're a bonafide hero. I won't ask because it involves family, and that's a matter left where it belongs. Now, go get the camera. It's in my office. I'll see you on the field."

Clarke nods before getting up on his feet. He walks into the office, picks up the camera from the desk, and walks from the locker room to the field. The clouds overhead pull the humidity to a comfortable level. The threat of rain lingers over Brighton.

The team stretches, getting loose before lining up to run plays. While Coaches Moss and Sapp work each side of the team to the extreme. Clarke not being on the field is felt as Emmitt tries to scramble to give other receivers time to get open deep downfield. The speedy and hefty defense makes it difficult for long-yardage plays, but they sometimes struggle with crossing routes and play-action pass.

Occasionally, Clarke pulls the inexperienced varsity wide receivers to the side for pointers. The former JV trying to get ready for the challenges the upcoming season offers has them rattled.

As thunder claps in the distance, Clarke isn't rattled by it. He's focused on the team while ignoring the buzzing in his front pocket. His phone constantly goes off as Tracy wants to talk.

"Come on, Clarke! Text me back! Jesus quit being so damn stubborn," Tracy says as she waits for her voice coach.

Inside the outdated office with a window air-conditioning unit, Tracy feels good about her progress during the program. Tracy's Texas accent has seemingly vanished for the last couple of weeks. Now able to blend with anyone from New York, Tracy feels a sense of pride.

Tracy doesn't wait long for the instructor to arrive. After setting her purse and suitcase under the antique wooden desk, the final review begins, "Good morning, Tracy. This is our last morning together. I must admit, it has been a pleasure working with you this summer."

"Thank you, Ms. Slater. You've been such a huge help," Tracy says, sitting with her hands in her lap, "Any last-minute advice or recommendations?"

Picking up her laptop, Cheryl logs in to pull up Tracy's file, "Well, to begin, first-year attendees rarely receive an offer. However, the Philidelphia Broadway Company is offering you a spot next fall. It's not a major role, but you can become the understudy for Beetlejuice. Portraying Lydia is perfect for you to begin your career. I have your offer letter to sign, should you be interested."

Her eyes light up; Tracy's nearly in tears, "Are you kidding? Yes! Hell, yes, I will take it!"

Cheryl prints the commitment letter and hands it to Tracy, "Sign it, and an agent will come to you in Texas to review the contract terms sometime over the next few months. I'm excited for you. Congratulations on the offer; you've worked hard and, if I may say, busted your ass to prove to everyone you belong in this world."