Chapter 8

Chapter 8

While Daisy remains in the hospital recovering, Clarke handles everything as acting power of attorney. He doesn't let anyone know how the rage pumps through his veins, from signing the insurance papers to getting the house repaired to balancing his time at the motel with his sister and time with Tracy.

Being busy with adulting, Clarke nearly skips homecoming. On that night, Amber and Casey stay with Dr. and Mrs. Locke. Clarke dresses in a navy blue suit with a white dress shirt and matching blue tie to make the night special. Rather than drive the Cougar, Clarke snatches the keys to his mother's Lincoln SUV. Before he leaves to pick up Tracy. Casey taunts and teases her older brother with photos to share with their mother when she wakes up.

"Wow, wow, wow, Tracy's getting some hot stuff tonight, baby, yeah!" Casey taunts in a poor English accent.

For the first time since being left in charge, Clarke genuinely giggles, "That's funny but gross, you little turd."

Amber has nothing to say. She stands on the porch, missing her mother.

"It's going to be okay. Mom will wake up any moment, then we can get out of that stuffy little motel room. C'mon, gimme a hug so I can get going," Clarke says, extending his arms for a hug.

The embrace lasts longer than Clarke would like, but he understands Amber's feelings. First, they lost their father, and now their mother was a mess. One detail left out is knowing Wade is involved with most injuries. Dr. and Mrs. Locke watch them embrace, wishing they had children of their own to share moments like this.

"I'm sorry, my love, that we never could conceive," Tina mentions in a whisper.

Martin looks at his wife at the white bandana on her head with his hand over hers, "Wasn't God's will. We got to watch these young adults grow after Casey died. Being part of their lives at times serves enough for me. I do have a single regret."

"What?"

"That I didn't kill Wade the day I saw him punch Daisy the first time."

Tina feels her feet sway under the wooden porch swing, "There will always be monsters to slay. You can't do anything to be sent to jail. I have only you to tend to me, but I do agree that it's been wonderful seeing these children grow into good people."

Clarke breaks the hug and looks at their neighbors, "Thank you for letting them stay tonight! When I was inside, it looks like we'll be home soon. The door frame was replaced, and new drywall around the kitchen."

"We have been delighted to be part of your lives. You are still always welcome to stay here until your home is ready. It won't be putting us out," Martin calls back.

Amber and Casey stare at their brother with tears close to falling from their dark-colored eyes, "Please! Let's stay with them. I can't sleep on that rollaway bed. Please," Casey pleads, quivering her lower lip.

In a nod, Clarke agrees that they can, in a sense, go home. As Dr. and Mrs. Locke smile, the girls squeal, "I'll go get clean linens," Martin says.

"I'm not coming back until I'm forced to be here. Ride the bus and no funny business," Clarke informs them, pointing at Amber.

Clarke gets into his mother's SUV, ready to get his evening underway. On the way to Tracy's, he stops at his mother's pharmacy. His intentions are to buy a package of condoms, but Steven walks out when he's walking inside.

"Hey, kid. Are you off to homecoming?"

"Yeah, I am. Just you know, gotta buy something in case things get hot and heavy later," Clarke shares in guy code.