Chapter 4

Chapter 4

When the rumors about Tracy circulate throughout Brighton High, Clarke and Hector don't believe a single word. Rumors ranging from sleeping with a married man for money all the way down to Tracy lying about being raped spread everywhere; it makes it beyond the school halls and onto social media. Remaining home another day, Tracy tries to dodge the heat from Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Besides feeling humiliated, Johnathon managed to hurt her in every way possible.

"That rat bastard is going to pay!" Tracy screams, staring at her phone, seeing a Meme of a girl on her knees asking for more.

Not long after football practice, Hector rides with Clarke to Tracy's. Hector is blown away at the beautiful Oxford white two-story Victorian home with crimson shutters, full-size pillars lined along a wraparound porch with Berch flooring, and a matching swing hanging by linked chains.

After a whistle, Hector mentions, "If this is what the American dream looks like, then I'm certainly going to need to bust my hump to make it. The only thing I don't see is the typical white picket fence."

"Dude! Her dad was handed the largest construction company in the region outside of Dallas. Mrs. Wilcox works as a CAN for Heritage Home Health Network as a nursing aide. They've done pretty damn good if ya ask me, but hell trying to get with Tracy is tougher than trying to yank out an alligator's back teeth," Clarke says, but Hector hears something in his voice.

As they sit in the car, "You're into her!" he blurts out, "That's why you ain't been too serious about nailing any other chick at school. And here I thought you were secretly gay."

Clarke laughs and reaches for the handle, "Fuck no, I'm far from gay! As for Tracy, yes, I've been feeling for her since we were in middle school. I'll give her credit. She's stuck to her word about not getting tied down to any loser here, so I won't try to keep her from the bright lights of stardom."

Tracy hears car doors slam inside the house, "Who's here?" She leaves the living room to the foyer to see Clarke and Hector making their way up the walkway.

Seeing the front door fly open, Tracy goes on the defense with her face glowing red, "If you're here to mock me, then get lost! I didn't sleep with any married men or hiding from a pimp. Also, I've never participated in an orgy, and I'm not covering up an abortion!"

The boys aren't sure how to react on the steps, "We didn't come to taunt or tease you," Clarke declares with a hand stretched to take Tracy's.

"I'm sorry," She admits with her head hanging low, "There's been so much shit thrown at me online that I'm ready for a fight. Please, take a seat on the banister."

Clarke and Hector sit near the porch swing. Tracy gently sits on the swing, swaying slightly, but she looks at Clarke and notices he's staring at her differently.

"Why is he staring at me like that?" She thinks, feeling a bit strange as she stares at him.

Hector sees how his friends stare at each other and speaks up to break the awkward silence, "Hey! Do you care if I borrow ya pisser?"

"Make it quick. If my parents pull up and see y'all here, I'm going to be in so much trouble."

Quickly, Hector pulls himself off the rail and rushes inside. In his absence, Clarke continues to stare at Tracy, and she returns the glare in a soft but subtle way.

"How are you feeling?" Clarke begins.

"I'm sore, and this headache ain't too grand. How bad is it? How hard are they dogging me at school?"

The staring contest ends when Clarke drops his head with his eyes closed, "Right now, you're the hottest topic all over school. It'll die down, though, because there's a pep rally tomorrow for this week's opening home game. Are you going to be at school tomorrow? It's not the same when you're gone. I've missed seeing you."