Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Back at the lake, Hector shuts off the burner phones. Hector throws them as hard as he can into the water to cover their tracks. Around the bond fire, they talk to the Sheriff and Deputy Teller about how they talked to Johnathon throughout the night and lie to cover their tracks the best they can.

The following Monday at school, counselors from other schools in the county are brought in for students. Nearly twelve other young women come forward since Johnathon is dead to confess that he's tried to blackmail them, but Tracy was the first to bite the bait to become his prey. The counselors gather the student body at the football field when the pieces come together.

"Ladies and gentlemen of Brighton's brightest students, my name is Maud Chamberland, lead counselor for the district. I apologize for yanking you from your classes, but we have a matter to discuss," the stalky five-foot-five middle-aged woman with curly short salt and pepper hair begins, "It has come to our attention that the student, who sadly lost his life over the weekend, has tried to undermine several of your fellow classmates. If anyone has something to share, please come forward to one of the counselors on hand through Wednesday. Everything will remain confidential; we are concerned about ensuring that anyone suffering from PTSD seeks help."

The heat from the aluminum keeps Tracy's palms warm while she searches for Clarke and Hector behind the lenses of her dark sunglasses. She's met with apologies and hugs by several females dealing with Johnathon's threats while sitting on the metal stands.

"I like feel so like horrible and stuff," Roxanna Newman says, sitting beside Tracy, "Having that creep touch you. Ew!"

Tracy chuckles at Roxanna's comments, "Yeah, he was a mental case. However, he didn't hurt me that bad. Honestly, the rumors hurt more than the rock he used to knock me out," Roxanna wraps her arms around Tracy's arm, "Although I wish he didn't get killed. Johnathon got lucky to be buried compared to spending time in prison."

Roxanna continues to babble, but Tracy's attention fades away. After the counselors excuse the student body to collect their belongings before the dismissal bell chimes. In the parking lot, Tracy drops her bookbag in her car and lowers the convertible top of the Solstice. When Clarke walks by, she makes it a point to get his attention, "Hey Clarke!"

"Hi. How are you feeling?" Clarke asks.

"A lot better now that I'm free from parental jail. I thought maybe after practice, we could grab a bite to eat. I had fun sitting and talking the other night that maybe we could do it again."

Before Clarke can respond, the coach comes out, slapping him on the back, "Let's go, Harbor, time to get prepared with a strategy for Friday."

"Yes, sir," Clarke says, then turns to Tracy, "I gotta go. I'll see you around, sexiness," he winks, turns, and walks inside.

Disappointed at the attempt to get Clarke's attention to express how she feels, Tracy gets in her car to go downtown to rack up some charges on her father's credit card. She finds comfort by hitting up the mall for window and shoe shopping. Her favorite store is a vintage early 2000s clothing store where she's spent a lot of time and money having items altered to fit her figure or made from scratch by the manager who doubles as a seamstress. Something about the slow buzzing glow from the fluorescent lights helps Tracy forget about her problems, but when she walks around the entire mall twice, she loads up her bags to get home for dinner.

Parked but not ready to carry in all the bags, Tracy walks to the mailbox. Walking back to the car, she slips through the mail and comes across a letter from Dylan Graff, a Broadway Acting Coach and Agent. Excited but confused, Tracy doesn't recognize the name, but she collects everything to head inside. Taking the new clothes and shoes to her bedroom, Tracy opens the letter. Unfolding it, she reads the letterhead and sees it's legitimate.