Chapter 12

Chapter 12

The weather begins to clear. Emergency responders work feverishly to help the players, anyone who can pass a field test of clear vision and walk double up in ambulances. Those transported are quickly transferred to emergency care and rushed back to the scene. One of the final players to be escorted to an ambulance is Hector. He's guided to the rear of an ambulance when he sees the coroner arrives.

Speaking in Spanish, Hector looks to the EMT, offering him a hand into the rig, "Who died? Don't lie to me! Is it anyone I know? Dallas, Clarke, Jamal, Randale, or any of the coaches?"

"Right now, that isn't my concern. You are my patient and main concern."

Tensing up, Hector looks around, annoying the EMT trying to help. When he looks at the closed body bag, Coach Sparks's baseball cap sits on the road, upsetting Hector.

"NO!" He screams.

"I'm sorry, my friend. May God and Mother Mary be with him, but I need to get you to the hospital to have your arm checked out."

Once the doors shut, the ambulance pulls off with no sirens. A dry blanket is given to Hector after he begins to shiver. Soaked to the bone, Hector sits there holding his left wrist. His arms are scraped up with road rash, but he doesn't appear injured anywhere else. Hector doesn't take long to arrive and receive x-rays on his wrist.

As physicians and nurses request help for the massive load to tend to the team, news of the crash finally reaches Brighton. Everyone waits for the local news field reporter to mention which hospital the team has been taken to. Phone calls from law enforcement begin to parents who feel their hearts drop from their chests to their stomachs.

"Hello," Daisy says, answering the phone.

"Mrs. Harbor?" A deep male voice asks.

Instantly feeling the weight of the world collapse on her shoulders, Daisy places a hand on her stomach, "Um, yes."

A moment of silence falls over the line before the officer speaks, "I'm a Captain with the Texas State Troopers, Alvin Murphy. Is Clarke Harbor your son?"

"Oh, God, yes. What happened?"

"Ma'am, the bus transporting the team back to Brighton was involved in a traffic accident. Your son has been taken to McLennan County Hospital. I'm not sure of his current condition, but one of my officers found a roster with contact numbers. If you need a ride to the hospital, I will arrange for someone to pick you up."

"No. I can make it there. You said McLennan County?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"I'm on my way," Daisy says with fear.

Hanging up the phone, she nudges Steve, "Get up! I need you to stay with Amber and Casey. Clarke's bus was wrecked!"

Steve sits up without wasting a breath, "Go! I'll stay here, go! GO!"

On the other side of town, Tracy's scrolling through Facebook. A live video from the scene of the crash appears and grabs her attention. She gently taps the screen, pulling up the live feed.

With a bright light from the news camera shining on the mixed-race reporter's face, she's replying to the news castors back in the studio, "That's right, Ronald. I'm on the scene here, and the situation is serious. Several players of the Brighton football were injured when the bus they were traveling on flipped on its side. Law enforcement won't comment on fatalities or release names as parents and others are being contacted. For now, I can say that the highway will be closed for several more hours while state troopers attempt to piece together the incident. Back to you and Tishna in the studio, Ronald."