Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Bright and early the day after Christmas, Clarke wakes up. The alarm on his phone chimes and vibrates, with the sun barely peeking through the curtain.

Stretching under the covers, Clarke groans, "Oh! Why did I agree to breakfast?"

Clarke unlocks the screen with his arm extended to take the phone from the nightstand.

"Hey. I need you this morning, so don't bail on me! I'll meet you at Purdue's. My parents fought all night, and they are still at it. I want and need to see you and get out of town for the day. Love you. See you soon!"

Quickly kicking the covers off and throwing on a pair of jean shorts, ankle socks, and a basketball jersey, Clarke makes his way through the house.

The jingle from keys being picked up, Daisy looks from the kitchen table, "out and about already?" she calls out.

Clarke stops and notices Steven sitting beside his mother, "I promised Tracy that I would meet up with her. You know, post-Christmas breakfast. Is that okay?"

In a single nod, Daisy curls her lower lip.

"Thanks, mom. I'll be back eventually. Love ya!"

Running to his car, Clarke squints under the bright Texas sky. Nearly blinded by the reflecting light from the nearby side-view mirrors, he makes a pitstop at a local flower shop. In a rush, Clarke searches for the perfect rose, hoping to find something to make Tracy feel better. Inside the cool shop, he looks over seeing a pink and white blended single rose. It instantly dawns on him to take it.

After he pays for the rose, Clarke hurries to the restaurant. He parks and walks to the door; he finds Tracy sitting under the awning, surrounded by a dated, tarnished wrought iron fence. Once inside, Clarke is greeted by the hostess.

"Good morning, welcome to Purdue's. Would you like to sit at the counter?"

Waving a hand, Clarke turns his head, "No. My girlfriend is outside. I'll join her. Thank you."

The hostess motions to the door for the side dining area, and Clarke listens to the sound of 90s pop music in the background as he saunters outside.

The music, combined with the birds chirping, generates a calming effect. Tracy doesn't waste time without seeing him hide the rose and get seated comfortably, "I hate my parents! All they've done is argue. I don't think they're happy anymore, or rather, I don't think they were ever happy. I can't wait to get the hell out of here."

Uncertain how to react, Clarke hides one hand under the metal mesh table, allowing Tracy to vent without seeing the rose.

"I can understand what you mean by that. I hate Brighton too. However, let's stay in the moment. We are here together right now, and that is something easy to enjoy," Clarke says, glancing at the rose.

A few seconds later, a short, skinny brunette server walks over to them, sees the rose, and smiles, "Howdy y'all. I'm Bridgette, and I'll be your server this mornin'. What can I get ya to drink?"

"I'll have an orange juice, please," Tracy orders.

"You know what, I'll have the same."

Before Bridgette walks away, she turns to Tracy and winks. The subtle indication tells Tracy to look down. She notices that Clarke has his hand well hidden, "what are you hiding?"

"Nothing!" Clarke says enthusiastically.

Lifting her nose more, Tracy nearly gets a quick peek at the rose. Clarke pulls his hand back more, forcing Tracy to sigh, "pretty please, lettme see it."