Chapter 10

Chapter 10

A few weeks after losing Midland Prep High School, the team rallied in the last two road games in Southern Waco. Banged up and exhausted, the entire team is excited for the bye week ahead. Rather than gear up and take the field, Coach Sparks uses the week as a surprise.

It's a bright and sunny Monday afternoon; the team gathers in the school auditorium. They're confused seeing game footage and clips of some of the best plays and moments throughout the season.

"What is going on?" Dallas asks Hector.

Hector rubs the budding but itchy mustache, shrugging his shoulders, "No clue, amigo. When I saw the note on the locker room door, I thought we were just gonna have a pizza party and watch a classic football flick like Rudy or Friday Night Lights."

Clarke leans forward to give his advice, "Maybe it's award time. The conference announced the winners, and I'm grateful to be named tight end of the year."

Before Dallas addresses Clarke's achievements, Coach Sparks and several other unknown men walk on stage. The variety of colors catches the team off guard. It takes a moment for the team to realize what's happening when Coach Sparks switches on the microphone.

"Hello, gentlemen; we're switching things up over the next few days. I've invited scouts, recruiters, and coaches to sit, talk, and watch some of the highlights from the season," Coach Sparks looks over his shoulder, "I'll get out of the way now. Esteemed colleagues, the auditorium is now yours."

Nervous, Clarke gulps, getting to his feet. The aisle quickly fills, leaving Clarke alone when no one walks immediately over to him. From out of nowhere, a finger taps Clarke's shoulder. Unsure of who wants his attention, Clarke turns around to see a tall, well-built bald African American man wearing a dark red with white stripe Temple Owls polo.

In a deep and commanding voice asks, "What's your name, young man?"

"Harbor, sir, Clarke Harbor."

Searching the roster, the man finds Clarke's name and position, "Ah, tight end. I'm Assistant Head Coach Robert Howland. Let's go and chat."

With an arm around Clarke's shoulders, Coach Howland takes Clarke to the back row, "I remember your clips from Coach Sparks. You have a set of great hands. Plus, what he had to say about you in the letter he sent us caught our attention."

Confused at first, Clarke isn't sure how to respond.

"I didn't know he sent out anything," Clarke says, looking at his coach.

"Oh yeah. We've received several CDs with letters of recommendation from several players over the years. Maybe with a visit and getting to know the team, Temple might be the best fit for a smaller plater like yourself."

Stunned to hear that he's smaller than expected, Clarke flexes slightly. Coach Howland watches the light dim in Clarke's eyes, "That doesn't mean you can't fix it," he begins, "You're a junior. My advice, take the time to hit the gym harder and longer. Honestly, when I look at you, I see a wide receiver, not a tight end."

Clarke feels slightly annoyed but offers the answer to why he plays the position.

"My father was an all-state tight end. He died when I was still in elementary school. It's my way to honor him."

"I can respect that. My son is playing my old position of running back. I know you're probably tired of hearing this, but I am sorry your father isn't here to watch you in person."

They share a moment of silence.

"Back to business, at Temple, we have it all. A terrific variety of undergrad programs. Once you graduate, we also can give you several options for graduate school. The Temple program has also placed several players in various leagues. We all know the NFL is the dream of every college player, but the XFL and AFL also offer a chance to shine. Is there anything you want to know about campus or our coaches?"