Chapter 17

Chapter 17

After a sexually charged weekend, things drastically turn Monday morning when Clarke arrives at school. The team gathers in the locker room and waits for the new coaching staff to appear.

"Hey, Clarke, sup?" Emmitt greets, exchanging a fist bump.

"Mornin' Big E. Dude, you think things will improve for next season?"

Emmitt shrugs as they look around the locker room, as the team grows restless. They're not waiting long when the head coach's office door opens and slams shut. Three coaches match out to the middle of the changing area. A tall, bald African American in his late thirties turns to address the entire team.

"Hello, gentlemen. I am Coach Howard Greene. I am your new coach, and to my left, you will meet our offensive coordinator Chadwick Moss." Coach Greene uses his thumb, pointing to the tall, lanky man with a thick blonde mustache and buzzed head.

"And to my right, meet your new defensive coordinator, Willie Sapp." He continues introductions with an average-height and hefty African American man who's bald, with a thick full beard with gray mixed in and covered in tattoos. "Coaches, please take a moment to inform your players of some changes coming down the pike."

With arms crossed, Coach Greene takes a step back, giving his assistants the floor.

Under the light's warm hum and the gentle feel of the AC, the new coach introduces himself.

"Good morning. As Coach Greene said, I am looking forward to helping you improve. Like the other two coaches here, I have watched quite some game footage already. Y'all have some skill, but you lack a killer instinct. Luckily for all of you, I come from an XFL championship dynasty with the San Antonio Brahmas. Now I'm going to call out some names. When I speak your name, tell me your former position." Chadwick looks around the locker room, seeing the team's expressions of fear and worry when he lifts a clipboard from behind his back into the air.

One by one, the offensive roster sits on pins and needles. After Emmitt hears his name and place, he no longer smiles as the starter without Hector on the team. "Emmitt Moore, quarterback, you will be our starter as of today."

Over the last few names, Clarke feels his heart beat harder and faster. His hands become sweaty the moment his name is finally called.

"Harbor, Clarke. You play tight end and sometimes wide receiver. Mr. Harbor, please stand up."

Quickly pushing off the wall, Clarke feels his heart drop to the pit of his stomach. "I'm right here, coach."

Chadwick quickly eyes Clarke up and down. Grunting as he prepares to confirm where he'll play for his senior year. "Mr. Harbor, you have terrific speed, solid hands, and the ability to burn defenders going deep. I don't know why you've played tight end your entire career, but it has been a disservice to you, but if you want to play this coming season, you'll line up as the outside wide receiver."

"Yes, sir," Clarke says, dipping his head and leaning back against the wall.

After Coach Moss finishes, he places the clipboard behind him, giving Coach Sapp the floor. He quickly speaks up in a deep, husky voice and goes over where players sit with a few holes that'll be filled with members moving up from the JV team.

Barely able to hear the click of Coach Greene's shoes on the cement floor, Clarke leans against the wall, feeling a large part of his heart crumble to pieces.

"That just about wraps up today's meeting. Before you head to class, I have a few things to enlighten each and every single one of you."

Silence falls over the entire locker room. Besides a cough from the far end of the locker room, the team prepares for the worst.