Chapter 25: Tristan

Tristan

Vampire. 

I could smell him before he crept to the other side of the door.  I took an oath to enforce the law and if one broke them I would deal out justice that a human court couldn't imagine. But, I let out a breath gradually and breathed in the scents of this beautiful home, hardwood table, and whatever mouthwatering thing Alexa was cooking. I would also do the same if I caught another werewolf breaking the law. 

A scrawny pale blond with fangs like a devil flung the kitchen door open. And halted. "You must be the lodger? I'm Tristan Sandulf. " I stood and reached out a hand to shake his more effeminate one, the kid that wore black and leather like the movie underworld was his bible shuffled on the spot, his eyes searching the room. Ignoring me? "I brought Alexa home, and since she seems to be fine with you I'm thinking we forget the war for a bit. At least until we've eaten whatever wonderful thing she's cooking up?" I tried to smile at the kid, he didn't look over 20, but he had an ancient odour. He wasn't short, probably about Alexa's height, so I bent down a little and ruffled his heavily gelled spikey hair. A small "Eep!" escaped as he jolted forward very lightly.

"Who are you?" The same small voice came out.  A beaming teenage girl, also blonde, but pint size and wearing hipster glasses, and a welcome orangy tan. Peeked her head out from behind the vampire.

"Hi there, Tristan Sandulf, I brought your cousin home?" Angling myself down to her instead. The vampire flinched but couldn't react before the girl jumped and almost wrenched my arm out of its socket shaking my hand so violently. "Thank you so much we are eternally in your debt. Where did you find her? We tried everywhere! I was so worried, there was no way to track her, zero signals. Like she wasn't even on this planet. I would have understood if I'd found a body but." The vampire jerked her away to under his arm.

"Wolf, Lex's been with you over the full moon, what you do to her?"

"Wolf?" The girl's eyes darted between us.

"Diana this guy's a werewolf."

"Oh Paul that's fascinating! I've not encountered one in this century. No wonder he's emanating heat, power perhaps? Tristan wasn't it, do you mind if I take a blood sample?"