Chapter 26: Alexa

Alexa

I cleared my throat. "Why are you all in the doorway?"

I was hoping for an elegant grand entrance, but alas I'd have to settle for barging through bickering to save lunch.

None of the idiots before me moved.

I stabbed Paul in the thigh with one of my 10" stakes. They all turned to face me as if I'd turned into a giant panda, it wasn't that rare that I'd wear a dress. I'd worn this one a few months ago when I extracted a vampire from the hold of an aeroplane parked at Dubai International Airport.

I glared at all of them as I swooped past and popped on a pan of water to boil. "Here I was concerned about you!" Paul, delayed in his reaction bent over in pain. I had embedded the wood all the way down into his kneecap. Pulling it out would be a real struggle. Diana patted Paul on the shoulder a couple of times then hurtled out. "Well, so you should! Give me a heads up next time you tell your 'sister' where I live!"

"I didn't. No way I'd tell her where I live. Zo is wack!"

"Why are you even living here?"

"Good parking, low rent, and ok food."

"You don't pay anything! Out of my house!" I broke away from my dumpling dropping for a moment.  Diana was back and laying the table, and Tristan had sat back down... Shoot. I tried not to look at him, but the burning in my cheeks persisted. Cascading another dumpling down into the bubbling abyss. "There was another vampire-like scent, but wrong. I've smelt it from you before." And at Uncle Ali's when Father disappeared. "Care to earn your board?"

"Scuzz! That'd be Renfield. I keep on forgetting it has a mind." The idiot wiggled the stake and cracked his kneecap in half. "Come on, Zo's tried to kill me way more times!" Dumplings done, I tried not to outwardly roll my eyes, as I stepped over and jerked out the steak. And gave him a good sniff. I wonder if I can smell lies? That'd be a useful werewolf trick.

Like the last few minutes hadn't happened Paul took a seat opposite Tristan, eying him up, lips pursed. So I'm not even interesting enough to keep fighting with, whatever. I served up steaming plates of fluffy dumplings and rich sauce, pulling out a block of parmesan, a small-holed grater, olive oil, and bread, before taking my seat.

Tristan hadn't taken a bite yet.

I cross my fingers under the table and watch him in anticipation.