52. not in the clear

╔══════ • ══════╗

╚══════ • ══════╝

╚══════ • ══════╝

There was a ring of dead walkers on the ground by the porch as I made my way down into the swarm. Rick wasn't far ahead, his axe swinging, taking down each walker that came near him. He didn't notice me at first, I kept my distance, my knife driving into walker's head at a slower rate than his axe. 

As much as I loved my knife, using it to kill large groups of walkers was not ideal. It was much slower than an axe or a machete. However, it was what the knife represented to me that made me prefer it over anything else. I had lost all of the weapons that my parents had collected from my grandfather. I lost everything of theirs after the Governor took our home, everything but my gun and my knife. I would cling to these two weapons for dear life. 

My hand reached out, grabbing one of the female walkers by its neck. Her teeth snapped at me as I stared at it. Her long blonde hair was rotting off of her head, and most of the locks were covered by dirt and blood. She was probably pretty before she turned into this. My grip got tighter and I felt the skin splitting in my hand, sticky blood covered my palm. I shoved my knife into the front of her forehead, ending her. 

I let the walker drop and turn just in time to take out one of the walkers that was sneaking up behind me. I was quick with this kill, a simple death by knife. I continued my way toward Rick, taking out any walker that tried to get in my way. There were so many of them but I wasn't scared. I wanted to kill every single one of them. I wanted them out of Alexandria. 

Letting out a groan of anger as I tangled my fingers into one of the walker's hair, pulling it away from Rick's shoulder. The walker had advanced on Rick without him realizing and it was just seconds away from making Rick his snack. If Rick got bit on the shoulder, there was no saving him. There were a few places on the body where you'd be completely fucked if a walker got you there. 

Like Denise, the torso was the worse. There was no coming back from that. The shoulders were also a devastating location along with the head. We had found out that cutting off parts of the body that the walker's bite, could save you. However, it wasn't guaranteed. They cut Tyreese's arm off and... he still... he was gone. Yet Hershel survived when one of the dead took a chunk of his leg. It seemed to be pure luck.