54. taken by surprise

╔══════ • ══════╗

╚══════ • ══════╝

╚══════ • ══════╝

After sharing a few more heys and hellos, our awkward interaction was interrupted. Talia came strolling out of the house, a bag hung loosely off of her shoulder. She almost didn't look over at us, but the sound of Judith's humming caught her attention. She turned ever so slightly, "hey Jud-" she stopped whenever she saw the scene.

My hands were interlocked behind my back, holding on so tightly that I could feel them getting warmer from the tension. Carl sat stiffly on the rocking chair, his feet planted so that the chair wouldn't move under Judith's shifting weight. His sheriff's hat fell to cover his damaged eye, soft pink covered his nose and cheeks. Then there was Judith. The toddler clapped her hands together slowly as she realized who came out of the door.

Talia was seemingly put off by this scene, she made her way to me, prying my fingers apart. "How about," she spoke as she worked, "I take Judith with me," she managed to pull my hands apart now, "to Denise's for a bit," she studied my hands, her thumb rubbing over the indents, "and you two can," she forced my hands to my sides, "talk."

Neither of us accepted Talia's offer but she trotted over and scooped Judith up. God, I didn't notice how big Talia had gotten over the years. My once little sister was now grown, well growing. She was taller now, Denise measured her at four foot and five inches, average height for her age; her light brown curls reached a little past her shoulders. She shared the same frame as I, narrow and small due to malnourishment, though I hoped it wouldn't effect her as much since Alexandria proved much more protein and a balanced diet, even with how scarce food has been. Seeing Judith in her arms just made her seem bigger, Judith was small for her age, probably because she went a few weeks only eating crushed up acorns and god knows what else-- it was a miracle that Judith was meeting most of the mile markers for her age.

"You okay with that, Jude?" Talia chuckled into the smaller child's ear, in response Judith let out a giggle and flung her small arms in the air. "That's a yes," Talia smiled, the smile didn't last long as she looked up and then back and forth between Carl and I. "You two better figure this out by the time we come back, it's exhausting," Talia moaned in annoyance. I knew she was going through her own shit, losing Sam and Jessie was not easy on her. Yet she didn't confide in me, instead she kept her little mind busy with reading and working with Denise. I was beginning to worry that her way of dealing with all the deaths in her life was not the right one. She still had yet to bring up our parents death, or Lizzie and Micah-- so many people. When someone died she smoothed over it and I hated that she thought she had to live like this.