36. appearances

╔═══════ ≪ °❈° ≫ ═══════╗

╚═══════ ≪ °❈° ≫ ═══════╝

Deanna was more than excited to tell me about the small job I could do while I decided if I wanted to go to school or not. Gate duty. Gate duty consisted of standing by the door with a gun and waiting for anyone who wanted to go in or out of the community. It was extremely boring but I took it, it was an okay start. Shifts changed every other hour and I was allowed to open the screen door to shoot at any of the walkers who banged against the bars. 

I was instructed by Spencer that we don't let any of the children out there without an adult. Him telling me exactly, "Enid isn't allowed outside the walls without someone older," made me angry. Ron had expressed that she climbed the walls to escape all the time. I understood now, they weren't going to let her out through the gates so she found her own way of going out there. 

Today was the day everyone in my group was starting their jobs. Tara, Glenn, and Noah left with Matthew and Aidan to go on their first dry. Carol was in the pantry's kitchen cooking food for some of the older residences, and Abraham was out with construction. I let Carl and Rick out a bit ago, they wanted to go and scout out the area or something. I didn't really keep track of who was doing what even though I knew Spencer told me to keep an internal log.  

The sound of someone whistling alerted me to open the doors, I first opened the screen door so I could see who it was, Aidan, Matthew, Glenn, Tara, and Noah were marching toward the door, none of them looked too happy. I then opened the second barred door, allowing them to enter. None of them acknowledged me so I knew there was some tension, "you three need new gigs," Aidan snapped at them as he got inside of the walls. I closed the doors as soon as they came through and listened into their conversation. "You aren't ready yet," Aidan added, his words were pure insults. 

I had no idea what went down out there but I knew Glenn was more than prepared to go on runs. We use to go out there all the time together and he's saved my life plenty of times. Not to mention the amount of supplies we always came back with, he was more than ready to go out on runs.