50. i wanted you to watch

╔══════ • ══════╗

╚══════ • ══════╝

╚══════ • ══════╝

Talia stayed back and helped Denise sort through her medical books. Not that Talia was much of a help but mainly because it seemed that Talia enjoyed Denise's company.  I was hoping that maybe this would start Talia's interest in medicine. She could make a fine doctor one day, she had all the qualities for it. Though it wouldn't be for years, she was still so young. Turning nine soon, a few weeks from now, but still, still so young.

She'd adapted well to the new world, I wish she didn't have to. I wanted her to have a normal childhood as I did. Playing soccer, having sleepovers, crushing on a boy, and gossiping about it with her middle school friends. She'd never experience anything new, anything of value would always be secondhand. Never got to discover the internet or what it was like to text your friends late at night.

Talia was dealt a shit hand, and I mourned for her lost childhood and future. Never in front of her though. She doesn't need to know that I wished things were different-- that I felt bad for her. She was always making the best out of it. She found herself cuddling a small blanket, and watching Disney movies most nights, which was a luxury in itself. If we never came across Alexandria, she'd never understand that. This place was good for her, it was what she needed.

The nightmare fueling sound of walkers filled my head as Carol lead me down the streets of Alexandria. We tried not to draw attention to ourselves, though there weren't many people out and about. I wanted to ask how many we lost, who did we lose, or even if there were any of us left, but I didn't have the courage. It was dark outside, anyone wo was left alive was surely hiding from the nasty growls coming from outside of the walls.

"After you told me to check on Talia," Carol kept her voice down to a whisper as we walked toward the back of Alexandria, "I saw Morgan, sneaking around, so I followed him. He had let a few of those people leave after we kill their friends and I couldn't trust him," she nodded toward a gated door, she looked over her shoulders as we headed toward it. "Rick doesn't know, not yet. But, Morgan, he-- he's in there harboring one of them. The one you shot before they came here," Carol's hands messed with the lock on the door.