43. the plan

╔══════ • ══════╗

╚══════ • ══════╝

╚══════ • ══════╝

Pete lifted my shirt up just enough to see the wound. I had poorly bandaged it up in order to speak to Deanna last night. By the time Pete had finished pulling the glass out of my skin and dressing the wounds on my palms and arms, he had to focus on Tara. I didn't even mention the stab wound. I knew I needed to see Deanna as soon as possible before Nicholas could spew his lies at her.

I winced as he pulled the blood-soaked band-aid off of my skin. "My god, Lennox," Pete muttered as he took in the injury. "You should have let me take care of this last night, if this would have gotten infected you could have died overnight," he scolded me as he quickly went to work.

"Any vomiting?" He asked as lowered his head to see how deep the cut was. I knew it wasn't deep enough for me to undergo surgery. It was painful as all hell and I went through it last night but Glenn had dropped Nicholas from going too deep. I shook my head. "Fever?" he asked as he started to clean the area around the wound up.

"Not that I noticed," I responded and let out a howl of pain as whatever he was using to clean my skin stung me. "How is Tara?" I asked as squeezed my hands into tight fits in response to Pete's actions. He worked quickly, he knew this was uncomfortable for me.

"She is on the right track. Lost a lot of blood, I doubt she'll be waking anytime soon," Pete informed me as he pulled away from my body. Pete had drawn the makeshift privacy curtain which stopped me from seeing Tara. It was mainly because Eugene and Rosita took turns sitting with her, she was never alone. Which was nice but Pete didn't like having them in his way.

"Good news, the knife didn't go deep enough in your abdomen to use an Overstitch," Pete started. I looked up at him with confusion. "It's a endoscopic suturing system," he tried again. I shook my head, I still had no idea what he was talking about, "it's like stitching you from inside with a fancy tool," he dumbed it down for me.

"Ah, see that makes sense," I said sarcastically. I still didn't like Pete. Knowing what I did about him plus having to deal with his arrogance kept me from thinking anything but hateful things about him. He might be the person who patches me up but that didn't mean I had to like him.