51. i hate you

╔══════ • ══════╗

╚══════ • ══════╝

╚══════ • ══════╝

The hug Ron gave me yesterday still lingered on my skin after my shower. The warmth I felt for the first time in a while clung to me even while I scrubbed the dirt off of my body. A waterproof bandage covered my stitched stomach while the hot water stung my cut throat. It was healing well, Denise kept putting some sort of cream on it to fight off infection and it was doing wonders. However, the darkened line it was creating worried me that a fading line would remain on my skin forever.

My hair was still drying as I sat outside in the grass, watching the men work on the walls. The sound of the walkers still rang out like music on a speaker, their loud snarling became like a background track. I found it oddly comforting. Not that we were surrounded and people I cared about were still stuck out there somewhere but the sound reminded me of what it was like to be alive out there.

I started to work on putting my gun back together. I'd spent most of the morning cleaning my weapons, my knife sat beside me, sun reflecting off of it. Ron sat in front of me, watching as I explained the parts to him. He didn't talk much, just nodding along whenever I asked if he was paying attention.

Since we discovered Enid went outside before the hoard came, he's been doing anything and everything to keep his mind off of her. Which meant he was spending a lot more time with me. He even came by the house last night and watched a movie with Talia and I. He was really good with Tally, pretending to be interested in what dwarf was which and then getting into a play fight over which dwarf everyone was. They both agreed that I was grumpy dwarf after I told them to shut up.

I could feel the tension whenever Carl came downstairs and realized that it was Ron who Tally was fighting with. He pretended he needed something from the kitchen before booking it back up the stairs.

Carl, who stood beside his father by the growing support beams, kept sneaking glances our way. Part of me hoped that he was jealous, that he got to suffer through that Ron and I felt toward him and Enid, but then another part of me convinced myself that he wasn't allowed to be. He chose not to be with me. He had no right to be jealous of Ron and I's friendship.

Another part of me was hoping Ron wasn't having developing any new feeling toward me. The last time that happened, everything just went downhill. And on top of that, if he was, I don't think it would be genuine. Ron cared deeply for Enid and any feelings he tried to convince himself he had for me would just be out of pure spite.

"And then we put the bullets back in," I said, letting him struggle with putting each of the small bullets back into the magazine. I let out a small laugh as he cursed at the weapon. He mutter something along the lines of 'I don't want to do this anymore' before shoving the half empty magazine at me.

I rolled my eyes and grabbed the gun, reloading the magazine. "It's been a year and you still haven't bothered to try to keep up with this stuff," I nagged at him. He pissed me off sometimes, because somedays he was so excited to learn about how to survive and others, he just gave up.