56. those men

╔══════ • ══════╗

╚══════ • ══════╝

╚══════ • ══════╝

Asking Talia to lie about my whereabouts put her off a bit but she said she trusted me. She locked the bedroom door and told anyone who tried to stop by that I had a bad headache from being hit in the face with my gun. She needed to keep anyone from sending Denise my way, which was pretty easy by saying that I'd already been by to see the doctor. She understood her assignment and allowed me to climb over the walls.

It took an hour to find any type of working car, it happened to stumble across a small Ford Focus with enough gas to get me a great distance from Alexandria. My plan was simple, I would stock the first car I found with supplies. I hadn't been outside the walls in ages and we were low on everything but guns and ammo. I doubted that Rick's little visit to Jesus's community was going to do any good so I knew I needed to provide.

For the past few weeks, I've felt absolutely useless. I was hoping this would do some good and keep me from losing my mind.

It was working, I stumbled across a small town that looked nearly untouched by the living, however, the dead seemed to claim it as their own. I spent most of the morning sending my knife into the heads of walkers. The rest of the early evening I spent going through the first few houses.

I felt like I hit the jackpot, which I did. Each kitchen housed a variety of canned foods, unopened bags of different types of nuts, boxes of cake and muffin mix, and boxes of pasta. I took laundry baskets from the houses and filled them to make the trips to the car easier.

I figured I'd stick to the first few houses for today, the car I picked up was much too small to go through the neighborhood. I grabbed tubes of toothpaste, any unopened toothbrush packages and mouthwash, toilet paper, paper towels, and other basics I could find.

It was becoming dark and I figured I should head back, I didn't want Rick to beat me back to Alexandria. Humming, I was more than satisfied with my haul. I nearly forgot how much I loved scavenging for the community, it was relaxing and exciting, nothing but the dead and me.

Until it wasn't just the dead. The flash of headlights caught my attention, I pressed my body behind the garage that held my car, hiding from the view of the road. Part of me was sure it was Rick and the rest coming back from the community but they'd taken the RV, this was a military-grade truck.

My knife was in my hand now as I watched two men climb out of the truck, "I can't believe he's making us go this far so late," one of them moaned as he stretched his arms over his head. "Last time I checked this place was crawling with those freaks."

"Negan knows best," the other huffed.

"He wishes," the first one laughed, "I think we just entertain him at this point."