Xenophilious

Chapter 22

As the seasons pass, and the snows melt, Moody finds himself taking more and more scans with the Russians as they slowly build up a picture of the Raka lair. What they're seeing, both magically, and with whatever arcane sorcery this scanner uses, is not painting a pleasant picture. He glances over to where the Russian equivalent to the Unspeakables are doing their own things to try and divine the danger present past the small cave opening. Whatever it is, Moody desperately doesn't want to be anywhere near here when they try it.

═══════ ೋღ ֍ ღೋ ═══════

Xeno carefully makes his way down the obstacle course with the first of Luna's successful adoption eggs carefully stored away in an expanded trunk. She's only managing a one in ten success rate, so she'll be stuck in that room until it's better. As he's half way down, he is made very much aware of the fact that his body is not up to the sort of gymnastics that his brain is now able to perform. As he finally gets to the sign, he breathes a sigh of relief and confidently makes his way out of the room on the 3rd floor corridor. From there he makes his way down to the kitchens and the domain of the house elves.

As the painting closes behind him, all of the elves turn to look at him warily, "What can we's be doing for the not serpent hunter?"

Xeno smiles as he looks over at the elf the spoke, "My daughter has started to lay adoption eggs, would you know of any elves that need or want a new family?"

"Elves know it still not safe to see young queenie."

Xeno nods, "Indeed, I have a confirmed adoption egg here. I need to go on a journey now, and I would like to have some direct family still here to look after my little moon."

The elves all confer for a long time, as well as plying Xeno with sweet meats and tea. Eventually, one of them walks over, "We's knows of a few elves who are in bad families. But we coulds not take them from their families."

Xeno's eyes glaze over as he speaks with Luna and tries to understand the house-elf memories he has, eventually he nods, "I understand, however there's no reason that you couldn't introduce us so that they know where to come if they ever find themselves in need of a new family."

The elf blinks a couple of times, "Nipsy thinks sad man see sense now. Nipsy will see if Batsie is free."

Nipsy disappears for a moment before reappearing with an elf that's missing half of one ear, "Batsie is here, but Batsie has not being given clothes."

Xeno nods and sits on the floor in front of Batsie, "I understand, and I would never try to take you away from your family. However, my Queen. My daughter, she has some special eggs that will make you part of our family. I would never dream of endangering such a proud elf, so would you permit me to show you what those eggs look like. That way you can avoid them if you ever have cause to visit."

Batsie blinks slowly, "Batsie understands. Batsie thinks it's wise to know what to look out for, as elf descriptions not good enough."

"All of our family share memories, so that is no longer a problem for us. There is an empty classroom just down the corridor. How about I open my trunk there, and you can look inside. Just remember, you shouldn't go inside, just look from the top, otherwise one of the eggs I'm carrying will hatch."

"Nipsy thinks that is best idea, Hogwarts elfs not want accidental eggs."

Xeno takes his trunk to the classroom he passed, and opens it in the centre of the room. Once done, he carefully locks the door with a non-standard locking spell so that no curious students can just waltz in. When he comes back in and takes a seat, Batsie disappears with a pop, "I do hope that Batsie remembers my warnings."