Chapter 16

"Shut up."

"I- I'm sorry-" I choked out, trying to gain control of my laughter. "It's just, God, that was funny-"

Another laugh burst from my lips and Mason rolled his eyes. I wasn't the only one in hysterics however, as chuckles from our newly-made friends all echoed my own.

In our defense though, what we'd just witnessed had been priceless.

After Mason's invite to watch him practice with JT, and Chris who was also in the rugby team, I had agreed to go and watch. When I went back to the dorm to get my jacket, Molly had been there and I'd invited her along.

Thus, this resulted in myself, Molly and Emily- who had come along with Chris- laying out a huge blanket onto the slightly damp grass, and wrapping ourselves in another while watching JT and Chris teach Mason.

The temperature outside was alarmingly cold; however, it didn't stop us from enjoying the afternoon. Like girls do, the three of us kept up a constant stream of conversation, ranging from politics to the best shopping spots in London. We'd occasionally fall silent and cast our attention back to the boys, however soon growing bored, would bring up a new topic and resume the light chatter.

Molly and Em reminded me of my friends back home, which made me feel both happy and sad at the same time.

During the few times when I did watch the boys, my eyes always seemed to follow Mason. For some reason, I found him easier to read when he was playing the sport. Probably because he was too focused on catching and throwing and running to keep up his emotionless mask.

When he was happy, when he understood something or got the pass right, he would nod, almost to himself, his lips quirking up just slightly.

But when he struggled with a particular aspect of the game, he'd grow frustrated, running a hand quickly through his hair or muttering incomprehensible words to himself.

And it wasn't only this new display of emotions that had me captivated, but also his movements. He was a force of speed, agility and strength on the field.

However, being Mason, with his determination and stubborn pride, he didn't stop until mastering the techniques JT and Chris had taught him. By this time, the boys were sweating, despite the cold, and covered from head to toe in mud. This was due to the last three nights of rain, which had softened the field into a squelching mess of mud, grass and puddles.

Thus, leading me to the explanation of why we were all in hysterics at Mason's expense.

It had been near the end of their practice. The sun had almost completely immersed itself behind the clouds, consequently dropping the temperature to a point where the blankets we had wrapped around ourselves did little to stop the cold from entering our limbs.

Molly had eventually complained to JT, asking if we could head back, and he had agreed, however after one last kick. He had walked back, spinning the ball in his hands, and then lifted his head to Mason, his eyes glinting with mischief-

"Catch Quarter Back!" He then dropped the ball and just as it skimmed the ground, connected his foot, sending the object flying through the air. Moving with a quicker reaction than I'd had to turn my head, Mason ran backwards, his eyes focused on the ball which was flying above our heads, and his hands ready and open in front his chest.

For a split second, I became aware of the muscles in his arms as he tensed, waiting for the ball's contact.

It came spiraling towards him at an alarming speed, and in the last second, Mason took a quick stride backwards and caught the ball neatly, but hard, in his hands.