Chapter 28

I smiled slightly as I watched Mason laugh along with some guys from the Rugby team. After the last couple of Saturday games, Mason had proved himself to the rest of the team with his quickly acquired skills and likeable character, and even managed to score a try in his last game.

Thus, his friend ratio had inflated, and this was evident through the numbers of people who had come up to him tonight to either greet, praise or strike up conversation with him.

For once I didn't feel intimidated by Mason's immense popularity, but instead I felt happy- relieved even- as I watched him smile and banter away with people I had never met in my life.

Signs of Mason's usual, chirpy self were reappearing amongst all of the attention, and for the first time in a couple of days, I watched his eyes light up as he talked and joked, slipping into the festivity of the night and his old social charms.

I didn't even care that I hadn't been the one to bring him out of his gloom, as long as he was smiling and happy, I was happy.

Suddenly, Mason's eyes connected with mine, and he gave me a quick smile before excusing himself.

I watched as he moved towards me, shoulders broad in the fitted tuxedo, and his face – despite still looking exhausted- was smooth, angular, and utterly good looking. I noticed Mason drinking in my appearance too, raking his eyes up and down my body like I was a meal and he was starving.

By the time he reached me, where I was currently perched on the edge of a table, sipping absentmindedly at the sickly-sweet punch, my face was hot with blood.

"Hey." I murmured, sweeping my eyes over his face. His flushed - alcohol induced- cheeks had faded drastically and his eyes were sharper now, more focused, than they were an hour and a half ago.

I was relieved that the drunken stupor had left his body. Managing Mason in his sober state was hard enough, but an intoxicated Mason, where feelings were heightened and recklessness was encouraged, would be damn near impossible.

"Hey." Mason replied back softly, bringing his hand up to my cheek.

He caressed it, and I sighed, letting my eyes close. Exhaustion was pounding through me like a drill and it was all I could do not to fall asleep right there in his palm.

"You tired?" His voice was low, concerned.

My eyes fluttered open to his, took in the dark rings under his eyes and the tautness of his jaw.

"Not as much as you."

The corner of Mason's mouth lifted up fleetingly, before he pulled me into his arms, resting his chin on my head. Again I shut my eyes, breathing in the sweet and fresh scent of him.

"I can't believe we're leaving tomorrow." Mason eventually muttered, his voice quiet amongst the chatter of the room. "Three months here and we're already going home. It's crazy."

I lifted my head slightly at his subdued tone, wondering if what he was saying had anything to do with how he'd been acting.

I contemplated carefully before asking, "Are you sad to leave?"

I felt Mason shrug. "Of course. I've met some really great people here and I'm going to miss them a shit load. And then there's the fact that I'm not going to be able to play Rugby anymore. Instead I'm going to be tossing around a football again and captaining a team in a game I detest."

I shifted my head and examined Mason's sombre expression. "You don't have to play, you know? When you get back? No one's forcing you to."

Mason let out a short, bleak laugh. He cut his gaze to mine. "If only it were that easy."