Chapter 6

"You're going to Mason's house?"  Kate demanded the next day.

I sighed and scrolled down the computer screen. It was our free period and we were both in the library, as it was too cold to even consider stepping outside.

The windows of the library were covered with silvery films of ice and snow was lightly falling outside, however unfortunately there wasn't enough of it for school to be cancelled. It was still barely anything but sleet.

I was busy scrolling through Facebook when I decided to casually mention that I was going to Mason's house after school. I hadn't wanted to make a big deal about it because truthfully? I hadn't quite come to terms with it yet either.

But as I'd expected, Kate turned into her over-dramatic self  and questioned me so loudly that  people turned around to give us irritated looks. I rolled my eyes and grabbed her wrist, yanking her back down to the seat.

"Say it louder Kate."

She was staring at me with wide blue eyes. "Well, I'm sorry. You can't just drop something like that on me. When are you going to his house... actually, why are you going to his house?"

I leant back in my chair and nestled my chin deeply into my scarf.  "I'm going after school."

Her eyes glanced at the clock behind my head and looked back at me in disbelief. "That's in twenty minutes."

"I know." Since this morning I had been eyeing the time, willing it to go slower but watching in despair as it had ticked on relentlessly and cruelly.

Kate stared at me as if she were looking at a stranger. "You do remember that you hate him right?"

I shot her a sarcastic look. "Seriously? So we don't have nicknames and a secret handshake together? Well damn."

Kate narrowed her eyes. "Well at this rate, he's probably already taken my place as your maid of honour."

I threw her a bewildered look. Where did that come from? 

"How do you know I'm going to pick you as my maid of honour?" I eventually asked, humouring her.

She shrugged casually and brushed the hair away from her face. "It's always been an unspoken agreement."

I looked at her before I slowly smiled. "Right... anyway, don't worry about your position at my wedding, it's still safe."

She raised her eyebrow in question. "Then...?"

I sighed, tucking my arms tightly across my chest. "We have to do this... booklet thing for exchange. And because of the little 'episode' in the cafeteria, they've come up with the brilliant idea that all partners should do the booklets together."

Kate frowned. "Why-"

"Bonding time." I replied sweetly, quoting it with my fingers.

Kate frowned. "That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard. It's basically pre-meditated murder."

"Your words of comfort are once again extraordinary." I grumbled. Dread was growing by the second and Kate's cheerful remarks were definitely not helping. I glanced at the clock and sighed.

"I should probably go." I muttered reluctantly.

Kate shook her head with something between wonder and disbelief. "I can't believe you're going to be stepping into Mason Tanners house. You know it's like... a mansion right?"

I smiled amusedly while pushing back from the table and slinging my bag across my body. "So I've heard. Would you like me to take pictures for you? Steal a souvenir?"