Chapter 25

I let out a slow exhale as the science teacher droned on about genetic variations; a concept I was still failing to understand both here and back at home.

It was the last lesson of the day and my concentration had evaporated somewhere around lunchtime, leaving me with my chin in my hand and my eyes drooping, thanks to the monotonous words coming from the bald, forty-year-old man in front of me.

However, I perked up a little when hearing the low and clear cadence of Mason's voice as he answered another question. This was the only class I had with him, and ironically, it was the same one we shared back at home. The same one in which he had destroyed my notes after 'accidentally' driving into a puddle next to me. Ah, the good old days.

Chin still slumped in my hand, I slid my gaze over to Mason who sat directly on my left, and watched with a dry expression as he spoke confidently, twiddling a pen absentmindedly between two fingers.

Mason was a whiz when it came to science, of course, because being graced with good looks, natural charm and sporting skills wasn't enough. I envied, yet admired, the way he seemed to grasp the information so quickly.

I watched his jaw as it moved, marveling at the way the muscles worked under the skin. My eyes drifted as I remembered kissing his jaw. I loved the firm strength of it, loved the way it tightened every time my lips brushed against his skin, loved the feel of it against my palm when Mason kissed me whole-heartedly, his muscles moving with a driving force—

"Miss Pierce?"

My chin unceremoniously slipped out of my hand and I only just stopped it from slamming the desk underneath me.

"Sorry— um— yes?" I muttered, trying to look like I had been listening for the last fifty minutes.

"I was wondering if you could perhaps pay less attention to Mr Tanner and instead direct your focus back onto my lesson? If that is all right with you?"

I shut my eyes as the class erupted into snickers.

Asshole.

~~~

"I wasn't staring at you!" I exclaimed again, as Mason and I finally walked out of that damned class.

"Sure you weren't, babe." Mason replied, throwing me a smirk.

I ignored the flip that the word 'babe' brought to my stomach and grit my teeth. "You were answering a question. I was listening to you answer it," I defended, knowing I was outright lying.

"You know, I'm actually pretty flattered," Mason reflected, his eyes glinting with mischief.

I hung my head in defeat. "You're intolerable," I muttered.

I shifted my bag across my shoulder as the strap cut into my skin. I looked up when the weight suddenly disappeared from my shoulder altogether.

Mason slung it casually over his other shoulder, and I bit my lip, wondering if I should argue and bring up all my womanly rights, but truth be told, the bag was heavy with books, and I couldn't deny the way my heart swelled at his gallant, sweet gesture. I conceded with a soft, "Thanks."

"No problem," Mason answered, shooting a smile at some guy who slapped him on the back in passing.

"Hope you're ready for the game this weekend Tanner!" he called over his shoulder.

I let out a laugh, rolling my eyes, and Mason sent me an inquiring look.

"What?"

I shook my head, a small smile playing on my lips. "It's like we never even left. You're in the star team again and suddenly everyone wants to be your friend."