Chapter 11

This chapter is dedicated to meganldunsdon and alexhammond as they have been the biggest support throughtout the last months. Where ever you live in the world, thank you so much Meggy D and Ally Cat, you gangstas.

~~~

Looking out at the black sky, I wondered where we were. What we were flying over. Land or water? Most probably water. The darkness outside was infinite, and only if I squinted, could I make out the outline of the plane wing. Other than that, everything outside was black.

With my chin propped up on my hand, which in turn was swallowed up by Mason's hoodie sleeve, as it was too long for my arms, I gazed out of the small airplane window with mixed feelings.

After the encounter with Slade and the air-hostess, I still felt a little uneasy. Thrown off. And Mason wasn't helping my mood with his constant badgering.

"Rose." He said again, trying to get my attention.

"Mmm?" I mumbled back, not bothering to turn my head from the window. It was ten in the evening now, and the majority of plane passengers were asleep, excluding a few who were still making their way through the movie playlists.

"Are you just going to stare out the window?"

"Mm-hmm."

"And not talk to me?"

"Mmm."

There was a pause before Mason asked, "Are you okay?"

I sighed, knowing I couldn't just ignore him for the rest of the journey, and turned around to face him. His expression was smooth, not showing any emotion, but his eyes were narrowed slightly, as though he was trying to suss me out.

"I'm fine." I muttered, dropping my head back against the seat.

He watched me sceptically, his eyes a burnt orange in the dim lighting.

"You sure? That guy was a creep."

Like I needed the reminder.

I remained quiet, before pulling the ponytail out of my hair and running my fingers through the tangled locks. Suddenly, I felt a tiredness spread over my limbs, causing my eyelids to feel heavy when I blinked.

"I'm sorry." Mason suddenly uttered, his eyes following my fingers as they moved through my hair. "That was my fault- you having to sit there."

I looked over at Mason in surprise, taking in his expression as it battled between indifference and guilt. I was shocked that he had apologised, knowing that my own stubbornness had played a part too. But his apology made me feel better for some reason, a little less alone I guess, and I gave him a small smile.

"It's alright."

"And the hostess." He mumbled, looking down at his hands. "I might have provoked that too."

I glanced over at him with a dry smile. "Like you said. Can't help it if she's into you."

At that, Mason rolled his eyes, more at himself however.

Feeling the need to appease him slightly, I said, "Hey, it wasn't your fault that she ended up being insane."

Mason chuckled, sending me a warm look. For a moment I was thrown off guard by his gaze, not used to this friendly side of Mason.

Mason however, merely turned back around, rubbing his hands up and down his arms. I frowned when I noticed that he was only wearing a thin, long-sleeved shirt.

"You must be freezing." I said, reaching for the hem of his hoodie. "Here, please take-"

Mason stopped my movements with his hand, shaking his head. "I'm fine. I wasn't the one drenched in water. Plus," He lifted up a plastic packet, holding a small folder blanket inside, "I've got this."