Chapter 4

I also just want to give a HUGE shout out to nerdy_demons_ for the absolutely beautiful cover! I completely love it! 

I remained in the music room for another two hours, not ready to go out and face everyone. Instead I carried on playing the piano, this time more gently, and waited for the school day to come to an end.  I'd had a free period anyway, so I couldn't bring myself to care about missing class. I also wanted to ensure that when I finally did leave, everyone else had too.

I got a phone call from Kate during the second hour and swore when I remembered that I was her ride home. Her own car had been in services for the last week, so I had been giving her lifts to and from school.

"Kate." I exclaimed, pushing the piano stool backwards. "God, I'm so sorry, I totally forgot." I grabbed my bag hastily. "I'm coming no-"

"Rose, relax. I got a ride home from Ade. I looked for you everywhere after you left the cafeteria but I couldn't find you. I wanted to check if you were okay after..." I heard her sigh and then in a gentle voice she said, "Are you okay?"

I sighed and sat back down onto the piano stool. "Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry, I should have phoned you. I went to the music room-"

Kate's groan from the line cut me off. "The music room. I'm such an idiot; obviously that's where you went."

Kate and my mother were the only two people who knew about my  love for piano and singing. From young I had always loved writing, be it poems or short stories, and as I'd grown up had combined it with piano and voice to write my own compositions. I'd only ever played for mom and Kate though. 

 I  groaned thinking back to the episode with Mason. "I can't believe I just ran out like that."

"Dude, I would have to. He was a complete dick."

I cringed thinking about the number of people who had witnessed my humiliation. "I can't believe he said that in front of everyone." I  ran a weary hand down my face. "What did he do after I left?" 

"That's the thing." Kate said, breaking me out of my painful images. "After you left, his stupid brainless followers were all laughing and... and you know, just being idiots- but he just kind of brushed them off. And then five minutes later he got up and left. Maybe he felt guilty."

"Doubt it."

We went quiet over the line as we both pondered over our own thoughts until finally Kate broke the silence. "Well whatever, he isn't worth our time."

I nodded. "Agreed."

"And hey, I never got the time to say a proper congratulations!" She squealed through the phone and I flinched, holding the receiver away from my ear. I laughed.

"Thanks, I guess you were right after all."

"Damn straight!" she retorted and I rolled my eyes, switching off the light and sending the music room into darkness.

"Have you told your mum yet?" She asked.

I closed the door, while holding the phone between my shoulder and ear. "Nope not yet. I'm still at school,  I'm leaving now though. I'll tell her when I get home."

"Okay, well I'll speak to you later then. Drive safe."

"Thanks Kate, for everything. You really are the best."

Kate laughed. "So are you, seriously, I don't know how you restrained from punching that dimwit in the groin."

"Yeah I'm already regretting it." I said with a dry laugh. I walked out of the main building and started making my way through the parking lot.