Chapter 5

I was in a horrible mood once I left the apartment the next day.

Much to my annoyance, and my mom's constant ringing and nagging, I had spent the last hour and a half, getting dressed up.

I felt like an idiot, and not because I was wearing a dress and spent a large amount of time doing my hair and makeup, but because of last night.

As soon as I hung up, I knew I should've let him explain himself, but instead I hung up and didn't give him a chance.

After I hung up, he tried to ring me again but I didn't answer, after that, he never tried again, nor did he send me a text, he completely ghosted me.

He still didn't text me, I shouldn't be bothered, I didn't even know his name, why should I care?

But I did, because he interrupted my life, and despite only talking for a short while, he made me wake up with a smile with his 'morning, beautiful' texts.

Now I'm back to how things used to be, and it sucks.

I now had to face the music with my mom, all of our neighbors and Gabby, and most importantly, Harrison.

I can't believe I'm going, I can't believe I let her bully me into this.

I felt like a walking joke, volunteering myself for the slaughter.

We haven't seen each other in ten years, it'd be a miracle if he forgot all about me, so I could slip in, wish gabby a happy birthday, and then slip out.

I was getting closer to her new house, the house I heard so much about from my mom, the house Harrison bought her from his first big paycheck as a movie star.

The houses on this block were getting bigger and bigger, and soon enough I stood outside of Gabby's house in awe.

It was a beautiful house, with a large front garden with flowers all around, and the house itself looked gorgeous, I was a little envious, I won't lie.

My legs were starting to shake and my hands were starting to sweat.

All I got her was a cheap bottle of wine, and a card, but looking at this house... I realise my mistake.

Fuck, they're all going to look down on me, I just know it, and if they don't, I know my mom will.

I know she's already here, we were supposed to meet up but he texted me an hour before that she went without me, and that she'll see me there.

Great... just great...

Walking up the driveway, I want nothing more than the floor to swallow me whole.

The house was intimidating me, and so were all the fancy, expensive-looking cars in the driveway.

What am I even doing here?

Bracing myself, I stood outside the front door and took a deep breath, wanting this to be over before it even began.

Here goes nothing.

I knock on the door and wait, my whole body feeling like I hyperventilating as I waited for someone, anyone other than Harrison to open the door.

The door opened and thankfully, it was a face I recognized and knew all too well, but most importantly, it wasn't him.

"Charlotte!"

Gabby stepped out of the doorway and into me as she wrapped her arms around me, bringing me in for a bone-crushing hug.

"Gabby." I laugh. "Your hugs are still the best." I joke as she pulled away.

She beamed happier than I'd ever seen her, looking me up and down with a look I've definitely missed seeing.