Chapter 23

Harrison POV
(11 & half years ago)

Dammit- I slept in!

I'm going to be so late, why didn't my alarm go off? That piece of junk!

"Mom, I'm leaving!" I shout out, before shutting the front door behind me.

Not to my surprise, the door next door swung open the same tome I closed mine, and there was my neighbor, who was also running late.

Charlotte Miller, my best friend, and the only girl I had a crush on.

"You're running late too?" She cried out, a piece of toast in her mouth. "My stupid alarm didn't go off."

"You're so lame." I tease, making her glare at me.

"You're the lame one." She hit back, making me laugh as she followed behind me.

Not stopping, we both jogged down the metal stairs of the apartment and headed into the direction of school.

"Here!" Charlotte hands me a piece of toast, jogging beside me.

"I know you skipped breakfast too." She said, making my heart skip a beat when she grins at me.

Man, I love her smile... I couldn't help but think as I looked at her.

Still, it annoyed me that she was looking out for me, I should be looking after her, not the other way around.

"Thanks, Charl."

She smiled and we ran all the way to school, which only took us five minutes whilst we ran at full speed, only stopping once when Charlotte's shoelace came loose, and I had to bend down and tie it for her.

We made it on time and then we both laughed out when we saw others had also slept in, red in the face and breathing heavily, just like me and Charlotte looked.

Her hair was sticking up everywhere, yet she still was the most beautiful girl I've ever seen, more beautiful then any girl I knew.

She turned around and smiled widely at me and puts her hand on my shoulder. "See you at lunch?" She asked, and I nodded my head.

I watched her leave as we both had different classes and took this time to catch my breath, with my heart beating out of my chest.

I don't know when, or why, but for the last two years it's been like this with Charlotte...

At first I thought it was just hormones, but no other girl made my heart race, and when she smiled at me I could swear the earth stopped moving.

I knew what this was, but the sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach stopped me from ever telling her how I felt.

We've been best friends since we were in diapers, we bathed together, slept together, we did everything together...

I didn't want to ruin the friendship we had, I knew she never looked at other guys, she wasn't like other girls, but I also knew what she felt about me too.

I was just Harrison, her 'best friend in the whole wide world'.

After three lessons lunch came around and that's when I found my friends at the cafeteria table, already stuffing themselves with pizza.

"Harry, there you are man." Gabe nods at me as I sit down.

Dan and Ben were also here, the only one that was missing was Charlotte.

"I'm starving, what else is on the menu?" Asks Ben.

"Pasta." Dan said, with a grimace on his face. "I'd take my luck with pizza, and hope it doesn't kill me."