Chapter 46~ CCTV

The video on my screen is more CCTV footage but from a different angle

This time I can see the person from the front, but the camera is too far away to see their face.

I press play, and I watch as the person lifts their gun, pulls the trigger, turns and walks off.

I play it again.

Then I play it again.

I play it so many times, I'll probably see it when I close my eyes to sleep tonight.

I screenshot the first part of the video, where the person's face is the clearest, and try to zoom in.

The picture just gets more pixelated the more I zoom in.

Why am I getting sent these, if they're not even helping me find out who killed Seb?

Is someone just taunting me?

Something buzzes in my desk draw, and I open it confused.

A phone, Seb's phone, rings.

I stare at it.

It's an unknown number.

Everyone Seb knew, has to know he's dead by now.

I let the phone ring out, before I take it out the draw

I unlock it, and click on the phone app.

The same unknown number has called Seb everyday, at the same time since Isla was born.

Maybe whoever's calling Seb knows who sent me the video... or who killed Seb.

Should I call them back?

I hover my finger over the number, before pulling back.

There's a tiny number one over the voicemail sign, so I click on the sign, then I press play on the voice mail.

'Sebastian?' Says a voice through the phone. It's a woman's voice... a familiar one. 'Amore mio, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for what's about to happen.' She says, then the voicemail cuts off.

I know that voice, where do I know that voice from?

And what is she sorry about?

The voicemail dates back to the day Seb died.

Is she sorry about Seb dying... before he died?

I'm going to call that number back.

I click on recents, just as my office door opens.

'Hey.' Diego says, walking towards me.

I drop Seb's phone back in my drawer, and minimise the CCTV footage off my screen.

'Hi.' I reply

He stops. 'What are you hiding?'

I shake my head. 'Nothing.'

I pull the memory stick out from my computer, and spin it between my fingers.

'What's on that?' Diego asks, nodding at the memory stick.

'Um, videos.' I say.

'Videos of what?'

I take a deep breath. 'Isla.'

Why am I lying to him?

He leans on my desk, and peers over at my laptop screen.

'Are you going to show me?' He asks.

'Show you what?'

'The videos.' He says calmly.

'No.'

'Why?'

'Because I don't want to show you, they're my videos. She's not your child.' I blurt out.

I watch as his jaw ticks, and his eyes narrow.

'What are you hiding?' He asks me again.

'Nothing Diego.'

'You're lying.'

'No I'm not.' I say, standing up.

'What's in that draw then?'

I open and close my mouth.

I could just tell him that I have Seb's phone, that someones been sending me pictures of Seb's mum and a random dude and, probably the same person, is sending me videos of the day Seb died.

But for some reason, something is stopping me.

'Answer me then.' He continues.

I look at my hands, and then back at him.

'Nothing's in the draw Diego.'

He scoffs. 'Alexis-'

'Diego, if you don't believe me, go home.' I say.

He stares at me, hard, for a long time, before standing up straight and walking out the room.

I drop the memory stick in the draw with Seb's phone and follow Diego.

He walks into my room, and shrugs on his shirt.

'Do you really not believe me?' I ask him.

'No I don't believe you.' He turns around, and then turns right back around. 'I'd prefer you to just say you don't want to tell me, rather than just lie to me. I know there's something in that draw, I watched you put something in there. I also watched you delete something off your laptop screen before I came too close to see it. I'm not stupid Alexis.'

'Diego.' I say, at the same time Isla screams his name from downstairs.

When she doesn't get an immediate response, she screams his name again.

He brushes past me.

Diego's the least of my worries right now... I want to know who has been calling Seb everyday.

______________________________________________________________

I watch as Diego cuts up Isla's pancakes for her and places them in front of her.

'Say thank you.' I tell her.

She looks at me, then looks at Diego. 'Thank you.' She says.

He gives her a smile, and then looks at me. 'I'm going to go.'

'No, Diego, don't go.' I say.

'Alexis, I don't- I've got to...' He shrugs. 'do some work.' He says.

'No Diego,' I place my hand on his arm. 'I'm sorry.'

He sighs.

I take a deep breath. 'Someones been sending me CCTV from the day Seb died.' I say quickly.

He moves his arm away, shifts slightly, and clears his throat. 'What do you mean?' He asks.

I shrug. 'You know, footage from the back garden, out there.' I say pointing to the garden.

He looks out the back door. 'You have cameras back there?'

I shrug again. 'I guess, I didn't know about them before now.'

He spins the ring on his index finger around.

'Listen, Diego, I think I can figure out who he is. I have all this stuff that someone sent me-'

'Alexis.' He says, interrupting me. 'I have to go.'

'What, why?'

'I just- I need to go.'