Chapter 11: Where is a friend when you need one

Ashley's POV

I rushed back into the house and ran straight to my bedroom.

I pressed my back against the door, breathing heavily.

"What have I just done?" I whispered.

This was never supposed to get this far. It was only supposed to help me save my job; I didn't think things through. How was I going to get out of this one now?

It was the end of me. My only option was to move out of the city and hopefully, he'll never find me again. I think that was going to be my solution.

I frantically pulled my suitcase from my top cupboard; I grabbed my clothes and stacked them into the suitcase. I couldn't think straight. I just knew that I was prepared to leave everything behind. Telling him the truth didn't seem like much of an option. He didn't seem like the forgiving type.

My life was officially over.

***

I couldn't sleep a wink. All my thoughts were running wild and I could barely think straight, but I had managed to convince myself that moving away was the best option.

I was the first to wake up before the rest of my family. I took a shower before they realized. I had figured that it was best for me to leave right after the two of them had left.

After getting dressed, I wore my bathrobe over my clothes in case I bumped into my mom or sister, that way they wouldn't get suspicious.

Was I making a rational decision? Was leaving my family the right decision? But what options did I have? I'm sure Tristan would destroy my life as soon as he finds out the truth and I could already imagine the look of disappointment on my mom's face. If I moved to another city, I'd be able to find a job there and support my family, hopefully before Tristan realizes and destroys my reputation there as well.

I had already figured it out. I'd use my last savings and buy a bus ticket. I'll leave as soon as my mom and sister are out of the house. I'd just have to leave behind a letter saying I got a wonderful job opportunity.

There was a loud knock on my door, and my mom stepped in.

"Why aren't you getting ready for work?" she asked.

"I'm having a day off today," I answered.

"Well, that's nice of your boss." She said.

Mom was on her way out, ready to close the door.

This might be the last time I see her in a long time. This couldn't be our final goodbye.

"Mom," I said stopping her in her tracks. "I want you to know that no matter what happens, I love you," I said.

She turned around, looking at me puzzled.

"Did you find out you were dying of cancer?" she asked.

My expression changed. "Of course not, Mom," I replied.

"Well, I just want to tell you that Ms Welson should be stopping by soon to collect some cupcakes that I made for her son for his bake sale." She spoke.

She walked out and closed the door behind her without even saying 'I love you too'.

I headed downstairs just to see Katy off.

Mom was frantically gathering her bags and the cake that she had to deliver.

"Katy, we need to leave right away," Mom said in a warning tone.