Chapter 48: A visit

THREE WEEKS LATER

Ashley's POV

I looked through the next set of newspapers for job openings. I needed a new job. With everything that has happened, the whole baby thing was no longer an excuse. It was difficult having to see Tristan every day so I figured the best option would be to get another job.

It's been a week since I was discharged, and I've been getting a lot better.

Within a week or two with some help of a whole lot of painkillers, I'll be fine and fit for work.

Mom hasn't said anything about it but I'm pretty sure that soon we'll start drowning in debt again.

There was a loud knock on my door followed by the door swinging wide open. Lately, that has been Katy's way of announcing herself. I just wish she didn't have to be here so often.

"It hasn't been ten minutes," I reminded her as she walked in.

"I know, besides, I was bored. I also decided it would be best if I bodyguarded from inside the house. If someone wants you dead that desperately, you must have hidden money somewhere, I might as well be nice to you." She answered.

"What happened to 'I'll never be mean to you again'?" I reminded her.

"That only applies when you are on your deathbed," she answered. She jumped and threw herself onto my bed, just an inch away from my injured leg.

"You know what I was thinking? I think it's good that you are not having Tristan's baby. What kind of guy just disappears and then doesn't even bother to check up on you or even call? He is such a pig. He thinks that now that he is done with you, he no longer has any use for you. And this whole time I thought he was a decent guy. I thought you were the one who didn't deserve him. But now he just had to be like the rest of them. He turned out to be a self-serving, jerk who only cares for himself. He probably thought,'Why don't I just get rid of Ashley now that she is no longer having my child?'..." Katy rumbled.

I couldn't listen to her anymore.

"Why don't you go and find someone else to bother?" I interjected. "Besides, I'm sure you don't really understand the concept of people being busy."

In some ways I was relieved I didn't have to see him even though it hurts thinking about it at times. It meant I could stay another day without having a guilty conscience. It was much better for him if he moved on.

"Sounds like you are making excuses for him, and that's just sad. Does it hurt your feelings that he has been ghosting you?" She asked.

"Could you leave? I was busy before you walked in here." I tried to hold back my annoyance.

"Doing what? Looking for a job? You do realize that Mom is probably not going to let you work, at least not for a very long time. They still haven't found the creep who tried to kill you. Besides, I think you are only in a rush to get a job so you don't have to think about that emptiness I know you feel deep down inside." She continued.

"If I wanted a therapist, I would have paid for one. Besides, I can't put my whole life on pause because of that. It's been weeks. Who knows, they may never find the person." I answered.

Katy sighed, shaking her head at me in disapproval. I'm sure she had long decided I was a hopeless case.

"Katy, are you disturbing your sister again?" Mom asked walking in.