Chapter 19: Test results

Ashley's POV

I stared at Tristan dumbfounded. After trying to avoid 'the talk' last night, the moment had finally arrived.

I began to notice more about Tristan. His hair was a mess. He was wearing grey sweatpants and a white t-shirt instead of his usual tuxedo. I noticed the bags and the circles under his eyes. The thought of having a baby must have given him nightmares.

He grabbed hold of my hand and pulled me into his penthouse. He closed the door after us.

"Are you okay? You look a bit pale," He asked scanning my face.

'I'm not okay because your crazy wanna-be girlfriend just threatened me to spy on you.' I wanted to answer. The person I should be asking if they were okay was him. He looked close to death.

"I'm fine," I answered instead.

"Why did you lead me to believe you weren't pregnant when you were? You should have said something." He spoke.

He scanned my face for a reaction.

How was I supposed to answer him? I didn't even know about this.

"I was an idiot; I was so insistent on the idea that you weren't pregnant and I did not consider that you could be. Look what happened to you." His voice trailed off. "It was my fault, and I don't think I would have forgiven myself if anything had happened to you or my baby." He spoke. I think I saw a tear in his eyes.

His speech left me speechless.

What was I supposed to say to him? I still wasn't sure whether I was pregnant or not, let alone having his baby.

"I..."

Tristan cut me off.

"Anyways, it doesn't matter now. I'm willing to step up for my child and I will do anything to support you." He spoke.

I watched him take a deep breath; I knew I wasn't going to like what he was about to say next.

"For that reason, I have to fire you." He spoke.

It took me a while to register.

"What?" I muttered, my eyes widening.

"You fainted just yesterday, who knows what else would have happened? The doctor said you needed to rest and I'm not willing to risk it." He continued.

No, he wouldn't be serious about me losing my job.

"But I'm perfectly fine, I can work." I insisted.

"Ashley, this is not up for debate. This job is clearly too stressful for you and I don't want anything to happen to my child or you." He continued.

I couldn't lose my job. Not after everything I've had to do to keep this job. What if the results come back and it turns out I'm not pregnant? Then I will be jobless and without a baby daddy to support me.

"Well, you can't fire me. What if everyone finds out you just fired me because I'm pregnant?"

"Are you threatening me?" he asked with a laugh.

"No, I'm just saying it wouldn't be very good for you or this company's reputation." I continued.

"Alright, I see what you are getting into. I can also play the same game." He answered.

Tristan chuckled before walking out of the room for the telephone. I couldn't hear any of what he said. I was too afraid to listen in.

What was he up to? Was he calling for me to drag me out of here?