Chapter 52: Life must go on

Ashley's POV

Cuddled up in my blanket, I searched through all my social media posts. But nothing, there was barely any trace of me.Specifically, no trace of what happenedto me yesterday. I expected it to be all over social media. I had even braced myself for whatever insults I would get but it was almost as if the whole thing never happened. Since when did people choose not to gossip? What were the chances?

I heard a scratching sound at my door. It was either Mom or Katy and I didn't feel like dealing with their pitiful looks. Strangely, my mother hadn't scolded me and barely said anything as I expected.

I covered my head, pretending I was still asleep. Which turned out to be a mistake because Katy pulled her signature move of jumping right on top of me. She then wiggled her way into my blanket as I pushed her off.

"What is wrong with you?" I whispered rubbing my sore arm.

"I knew you weren't sleeping, you should get off your phone. It's not healthy for you." She said wrapping her arms around me. Couldn't she be less affectionate? I was too tired to push her away. Before I knew it, she had made herself comfortable with her head lying on my shoulder.

"You know, I've been thinking." She paused. "I want to stay single for the rest of my life," Katy concluded, her arms wrapping around me even tighter. "The women in this family are cursed from relationships. I mean, Mom met my dad and you met two douchebags whom we shall never maintain. I'll probably meet someone who frames me for murder." She explained.

"I doubt that," I answered. "After framing you, he will probably murder you and make it look like a suicide. That way he will be able to cover his tracks," I added.

"I know right?" She answered lifting her head. "The next time I see a guy, I'm walking to the opposite end of the room." She added.

"Good for you," I answered patting her on the shoulder.

"Anyways, I came to tell you that Mom called you to come downstairs." She said. She pulled herself up and pushed herself out of my bed.

"Why?" I asked. I was happy to stay in bed. In fact, I'd be happy never to have to go out into the real world again.

"I don't know what crazy thing mom plans on doing." She answered. "You should probably change into something else." She added.

"I'm at home, what's wrong with what I'm wearing?" I asked.

"You are already going through a midlife crisis, you don't want to look like it as well. Mom will surely send you to therapy." She answered. "I can't believe you made me mean to you again." She whispered shaking her head as she walked out of my room. My sister was back.I should have known it wouldn't last.

I didn't want Mom here and giving me a long lecture about how life has to go on. In crinkled, old pyjamas, I stepped out of my bed. Who cares if they didn't like what I wore? I had been lying in bed since last night. I had almost forgotten I could use my legs.

Walking down the stairs, the house sounded unusually quiet. There usually is something going on around here. If it's not Mom yelling at Katy, it's...

"Surprise!" I heard a loud yell startling me out of my thoughts.

Mom, Katy and Ivy sprang out of a corner. Mom held a birthday cake, Katy with the balloons and Ivy with confetti which popped into my face.

I placed my hand over my mouth inshock as Ivy walked over to me and hugged me.

"I can't believe you guys did all this," I said almost in tears.

"I know that technically it isn't your birthday today, but since the last one didn't go too well, we thought we might celebrate it today," Ivy said holding me tighter.