Chapter 58: A new chapter

SIX MONTHS LATER

Tristan's POV

I swivelled in my chair, fiddling with my pen as I tried to come up with ideas. Just when I needed my brain the most, I just couldn't seem to think of anything. I've never felt this anxious about anything before.

"Are you certain that's a good idea?" I inquired of Vincent, who sat across from me.

He had visited my office to discuss our new business deal. We just happened to have moved on to the next item on the agenda.

He looked at me in disbelief, as if there was only one obvious answer to it. "Yes, which woman wouldn't want you to take her to Paris and propose to her in front of the Eiffel Tower?" He answered sarcastically. He threw his hands in the air in disbelief.

As incredible as his idea sounded, that didn't sound like something Ashley would want. She wasn't that sort of girl.

I leaned into my chair and stared at the ceiling. I always thought the proposal would be the hardest part, but I guess so was the how to propose.

"If you think that is too cliché, you can go on a private island and spend a few days alone together there and then propose." He suggested next.

Now I was sure that he was just sucking any random idea out of his thumb. This is probably why you shouldn't take any advice from him. All of his ideas sounded like spending a lot of money, but nothing meaningful.

"Before anything, how about we see the ring first?" He asked dismissively.

I opened my drawer to take the velvet box out. I've had it for a week, but I just haven't found the perfect opportunity yet. It was a fifteen-carat ring with a pink square diamond at its centre.

I handed the box to Vincent who looked at the ring in admiration as he nodded his approval. "Not too bad," he answered. This was the first approving thing he has said so far. "But, you could have gone bigger, you know how we do things in our family?" He commented as he handed the box back to me.

"I know," I sighed. "We had a conversation and she mentioned how she thought huge rocks were overly exaggerated and just for showing off. I had to compromise on a ring that wasn't too big for her liking but also big enough for everyone to see." I answered. Shopping for an engagement ring can become impossible, especially when your girlfriend doesn't want anything too and I quote 'exaggerated'.

Vincent shrugged, in a that sounds like Ashley kind of way. "Are you sure? Don't you think that this is too soon?" He asked.

"I don't need another six months to be sure that I love her," I answered sitting up straight. Besides, things have been going great between us. We've gotten to know each other more and I couldn't be more sure about anything.

"I don't mean you. You are like a love-sick puppy. I was referring to her. No offence but she is hot. She has a great thing going now that she is working with both her father and her uncle. Very soon she is going to be out of your league. What makes you think she'll still want to be with you let alone marry you?" He said.

"Who hurt you this badly?" I asked.

I had touched a nerve. His face immediately went blank. "My ex-girlfriend actually." He answered sarcastically.

It's not that I haven't thought about it. We've already been through so much together that I'm sure we can overcome anything.

I realized something. There was never going to be a perfect moment. I'd probably have this ring on me for the next ten years at the rate I'm going. With a smile, I pulled out my phone to make the necessary arrangements. I'd do it tonight at home. I brought the house when we were together so I had no doubt it would be the perfect place. I'd have my garden perfectly decorated and I'd propose soon after a candle-lit dinner.