Chapter 37: Trapped

Ashley's POV

I woke up with a splitting headache. The annoying sound of my alarm clock wasn't making things any easier either. I knew that drinking would be a foolish idea but I went and did it anyway.

"Morning," I heard Katy whisper.

If my brain wasn't so slow to respond this morning, I would have jumped out of my bed. I hadn't even noticed she was there.

"You know, if you continue like this, you are going to raise some serious eyebrows. People will notice and then you'll be in even more trouble." She said.

"I don't think getting into more trouble is even possible," I answered pushing the blankets off me.

"That's true, you look like crap." She commented.

Just what I wanted to hear first thing in the morning.

She sat beside me with a more serious expression on her face.

"I know that you are really hurt and that you really want to know who your dad is but maybe it's for the best." She paused. "Sometimes I wish I didn't know who my dad was and that he'd just disappear." She whispered

"You shouldn't say that," I whispered trying to console her.

"It's true. All he ever does is hurt us and just take more from us. It would have been better if I had never known him at all. That way I wouldn't be so embarrassed that my father is such a disappointment." She wept.

I never knew that was how she felt. I always knew that she was the one who was most affected by his behaviour but I never expected it to be this bad.

Maybe she also had a point. With my mother's luck in choosing men, what were the chances that he'd also be another disappointment? But that didn't stop me from wondering. I felt like a piece of me was missing, one that I'd never know.

I pulled Katy into a hug as she cried on my shoulder.

"I have to leave now or else I'll be late. You're suffocating me," Katy whined.

I finally pulled away from her as I watched her wipe her tears.

"Anyways, I want you to know that I'll support you. I won't eat mom's food or even speak to her until she decides to tell you the whole truth." She added.

Knowing mom, we were probably going to starve before she decided to say anything.

She patted me on the back before walking out of my room.

I was reminded of all the things I still needed to do today.

Tell Tristan the truth, just as I decided.

I wasn't backing out of my decision today. I couldn't keep lying in his face every day and watching him get his hopes up.

I made my bed and then walked to the bathroom. I realized there was no point in rushing today since I probably wasn't even going to have a job by the end of the day.

While in the shower, I started imagining the impending doom that awaited me. The reaction Tristan was going to have, he is never going to forgive me for this. Everyone at the hotel would probably find out, I was never going to find a job in this city again.

I got dressed and ready like I would for any other normal day at work.

Next, I made my way to the kitchen to grab some snacks on my way out.

As expected, mom was also in the kitchen.

I did my best to avoid all eye contact with her as I manoeuvred around the kitchen.