Chapter 53: Who could have done it?

Tristan's POV

I've been reading through one page in the last hour, and I haven't been able to process a single thing. Whenever I try to read a few words, my mind drifts away.

It's been three days since everything happened with Ashley, but my mind was still replaying everything that happened.

I was in my office and back in my suite at the hotel. This just made it easier for me to be at all the other places I needed to be on time.

I hate being back here though. I think about the time Ashley brought me coffee in my office, the time we'd spent talking in the living room, or even the vague memory of how I'd first met her in my bathroom. It's crazy to think that I had forgotten everything that happened that night.

Vincent was right, it was my conscience I was left to answer to.

Maybe she didn't deserve what I did but I didn't deserve to be lied to either.

Lately, I've been avoiding my whole family. From my grandfather who finally saw me as 'business partner potential', to my parents who wouldn't stop calling me, at least now they have stopped. Even Vincent was a nuisance these days with his tasteless jokes. He sent some videosto Paternity Court cases. Guess what, none of them were the fathers. 'It could have turned out a lot worse,' that's what he texted me the last time, along with the videos.

My phone vibrated on the table. It was probably Vincent. I ignored it.

I pushed the document away, accepting that I would never be able to concentrate.

As if on cue, Luke walked into my office. He had a concerned look on his face. My brain quickly dismissed it. It might just be because he was overworked. Because I've been a bit distant in my work lately, he has had to do a lot more.

"You can have this approved," I said sliding the documents across my desk. I had already read through the draft version and had them make a couple of changes. I'm sure it was all good.

He kicked the document off my desk. "Well, sir." He paused. "You have a littleguest,"he announced.

I looked at him with a brow raised, as far as I was concerned I didn't have any meetings for the day. I was certainly not in the mood to see anyone, especially without an appointment.

"I'm not ready to see anyone, you can tell whoever it is to come by tomorrow," I answered.

"You might want to see this one. She was here yesterday morning and left very late. You weren't here the whole day. I think it's urgent." He added.

Now I was curious. Who could have been so desperate to see me?

"Fine, you can let her in," I answered.

Luke smiled as he stepped out of my office.

Minutes later, footsteps were echoing towards my office.

You can say that I was more than surprised when Katy walked in beside Luke.

She was in her school uniform with her back slung over one shoulder. Her eyes looked red and swollen as if she hadn't slept for a few days with her hair a bit out of place.

What was she doing here? Wasn't she supposed to be at school?

Was Ashley sending her sister to do her bidding now?

I stared at Luke with a questioning look. He didn't respond, he decided to leave the room.

I was left alone with Katy as she stared at the floor. She looked like she was about to cry.