Chapter 17: There must be a mistake

Ashley's POV

I closed my eyes trying to give my brain a quick reboot.

No, I had not heard correctly. It was probably just the effects of whatever medication they had given me.

"Pregnant?" Tristan asked for clarification.

"Yes," the doctor answered.

Pregnant? It couldn't be. If someone had told me I had a brain tumour, I would be more likely to believe that.

"She is about three weeks pregnant." The doctor added.

My jaw dropped as I stared at the doctor shocked by his words.

Three weeks? That was around the time of my incident with Tristan, but nothing had happened between us so how could I be pregnant? Did something happen that I somehow don't remember?

"Her blood test results confirmed it, you are pregnant." The doctor reassured us.

I wanted to break into laughter, but the seriousness of this situation hit me.

Was this just a prank? Was Tristan planning something to get back at me? After all, I was the one who started this whole pregnancy lie.

Maybe I was still dreaming.

"And you are sure that it's her results?" Tristan asked.

"What are you suggesting Mr Montenegro? That we don't know how to do our jobs right?" The doctor questioned.

Tristan was silenced. He bowed his head breathing heavily, anxiously running his hands through his hair.

Neither of us said a word as I slowly came to terms with reality.

"I need to breathe," Tristan finally spoke.

He pushed his chair back and stepped out of the room.

He slammed the door, causing me to startle.

His reaction told me that this was just as surprising to him as it was to me.

Maybe he had nothing to do with this.

I sat up straight and then cleared my throat to get the doctor's attention.

"I think you made a mistake. I'm not pregnant," I informed him.

"Sure, you are," he spoke. "I know it might be a bit hard for you to accept but you'll realize that it's nothing but a blessing." He commented.

How could I be pregnant?

Could something have happened between Tristan and me? No, I just fell asleep and woke up the next day. Something had to be wrong.

"I'm going to go and get your discharge papers ready; do you want me to call any of your family members to pick you up?" He asked snapping me out of my thoughts.

"No," I shook my head.

The last thing I needed was to drag my family into this fiasco.

It took nearly an hour before I was finally cleared to leave.

During that hour, I didn't see Tristan. I could already imagine his reaction when he got back. I could already imagine the number of people he was going to accuse me of sleeping with just so he could get out of this.

I couldn't think straight. I felt like someone was secretly filming me as a prank for some reality TV show.

I need to find a way to get home. I only had my phone with me with the rest of my things still probably at the hotel. I just wanted to get home and sleep. Hopefully, I will wake up and someone will tell me this was nothing but a joke.