Chapter 14: New business arrangement

Tristan's POV

Kicking the punch bag, I nearly lost my balance in the process.
I fisted my hand, ready to take another punch.

"Is your conscience not allowing you to sleep?" A voice spoke.

I turned around to see Luke stepping into the room.

On days when there was a lot of work to do, he slept over.

It must have been nearly three a.m. right now.
After tossing and turning I finally decided to go to my gym instead.

"Why aren't you asleep?" I retorted.

"Well, I have a very demanding boss. I thought I'd stop by and throw a few punches to wake me up so I would stop falling asleep." He answered.

I stepped back, giving him some space with the punching back.

"Do you want to talk about what happened today?" he asked.

"You know, I've never met any person who is this lucky," I answered recalling yesterday's events.

We were so close to getting that doctor's appointment. That way I could prove all of her lies so she could stop making a fool of herself instead.

"What would happen if she ended up being pregnant with your child?" He asked.

I chuckled. "There is no way that is possible, that would just be terrible for everyone." I answered.

"Especially for you, right?" He replied.

"Besides, I'm only doing this to teach her a lesson. She needs to learn that it's not okay to lie to people." I paused. "Do you think I should tell her that I just found out that I can't have any children? I could add a whole creative story about horseback riding as a child. It would be great to see her reaction." I laughed.

"You really are just playing with that poor girl. Why don't you just get yourself a sports car or something really expensive like a normal rich person?" He asked.

"I'm not ready to let her go just yet. Besides, what would be the fun in that?" I smirked.

"Well, I know you didn't want any cameras installed in your penthouse, so I managed to get the footage from outside your penthouse and the elevator of that night if you want to take a look at it," Luke suggested.

"You know I don't have time for that. Besides, I don't care." I answered.

"Well, you should try to get some sleep, sir. Remember you have to attend your grandfather's function," He spoke.

****

I spent the day at the office catching up on the developments of our latest project. Everything has been moving smoothly overall. However, I'm still not any closer to convincing Leonardo to sell his land. If that deal doesn't fall through, then everything we have managed to do so far would have been for nothing.

I wonder what Ashley was doing today. I wonder which lie she will invent next. I have to give her some credit. So far, she has managed to surprise me.

Without warning, my door swung open as my grandfather stepped in. He leaned on his cane, dragging one foot behind him as he walked.

"Isn't it enough that I already have to see you this evening?" I asked.

"Well, I came here in person to make sure that you would be attending." He answered. "Besides, since you carry my last name, it means everything you do does concern me, including your business." He continued.