Chapter Twenty-One

It was probably the coldest football game that we've had all year.  Wendy was freezing with the rest of the cheerleaders while I was snuggled under 5 blankets with Beth.  We weren't too close, but it was nice to have her at games when Wendy was cheering.  I spent the entire game watching Craig and Kyle sit on opposite sides of the bench as the boys played.  I felt guilty.

The boys were down the entire game.  I could feel the people behind me glaring at my head.  It wasn't until the 4th quarter until the boys got 2 touch downs in a row.  The entire crowd roared, and I even joined them.  It was like a huge weight lifted off my chest.  Sure, the crowd was upset that Craig and Kyle were still on the bench, but at least we didn't lose.

I stayed behind after the game.  I wanted to talk to Kyle so he offered me a ride home in which I accepted.  We drove around for a while so we could get everything said that needed to be said.  I wanted to get what I had to say off my chest, but he went first.

"I'm sorry," he apologized.

"That's exactly what I wanted to talk about," I admitted.  "The kiss-"

"Not about that, I'm sorry about fighting with Craig.  What about the kiss?" he questioned.

"Nothing, it was just sudden," I told him.

"Did you like it?" he asked.

"Well," I procrastinated.

"Well? Do you not feel the same way?" he interrogated.

He stopped the car and pulled over.  I looked at his tan face using the light form one of the town light poles.  His face was bruised up, and he had a black eye.  I felt awful for rejecting him, but he needed to know.

"I don't," I admitted.  "I don't know why.  Your nice, funny, cute, athletic, and one of the top in our class, but part of it doesn't feel right, you know?"

"No, I don't.  It feels right to me," he replied.  "Is this because of Craig?"

My heart skipped a beat just from hearing his name, and I'm pretty sure my face turned pink, "No, I can't say I want to be with either of you right now."

"Damn, that's going to crush him," he muttered.

"What?" I questioned.

"Nothing, it doesn't matter anymore," he assured.

"I'm sorry Craig attacked you," I apologized.

"Yeah, me too, he is not a force to be reckoned with," Kyle laughed.  "I hardly left a scratch on him."

"And, you still got in trouble," I pointed out.

"You know, if I wouldn't of fought back and taken the beating, I wouldn't of gotten in trouble," Kyle admitted.

"But you manhood would've been at stake," I stated.

"Look at me.  Look at my face.  My manhood was already jeopardized," he explained.

I sunk into the seat not knowing what to say to comfort him.

"I don't know why I fought back.  It's just something about you..." he trailed off.

I slightly blushed, "I'm flattered, but-"

"I know, I know, don't remind me.  I should probably get you home," he said.

We drove to my place in silence.  It finally broke when we got to my block.

"Thanks," I stated.

"Yeah, no problem," he quickly stated.  I could tell he was hurting.

"Hey, perk up.  There are plenty of girls out there that would want to be with you.  I could set you up if you would like," I offered.  "I know you probably don't want to here the lets still be friends speech-"

"No its not that, I would love to still hang out with you even if it is just as friends, but I was wondering, can I have one last kiss.  You know, one that's not so forced, and I don't get punched," he asked.

"Okay, but only if you don't shove your tongue in my mouth this time," I joked.

He laughed, "You didn't like that?"

I shook my head and giggled.

"Sorry about that, Kenny told me to go all out," he stated.

"It's fine," I assured leaning in for one last kiss. 

His soft lips connected with mine.  It was a short and sweet kiss, and wasn't anything too special for me.

"Still nothing?" he questioned hopeful.

I laughed, "I'm sorry."

"It's fine, I guess.  I'll see you Monday," he told me.

"See you," I said getting out.

I went inside and then to my room.  The first and only thing I did was collapse on my bed.

 It's been quite a day.