Chapter 2

I read through a couple of scripts that have been sent to me, one of them catching my interest immediately. I've been approached before for a wide variety of genres, unfortunately being unable to take quite a few due to commitments and being contracted to a certain TV show that I was on, but this one is a little different, especially as the roles in the past where I've been cast as a mother have involved a baby, except in this one I'd be mother to a teenager.

Such a compliment I guess, but I suppose I'm not getting any younger.

"Do we know who else has been cast yet?" I ask Kimberley, my agent.

"Not yet they've only just started the process, but they've had you in mind for this for some time apparently". She tells me from over the speakerphone that I have her on. "Want me to tell them that you'll come in and do the read through?"

"Yeah, I mean that ending. It's just got my mind completely spinning" I laugh. "Very clever and open for plenty of debate if it's successful".

I hope to God that it is. It's been a while since I did TV.

"Totally, I'll see who will be playing the part of the husband, or at least who they have in mind and get some more information in terms of that - it may be that even they don't know yet, but it's always nice to know who you're gonna be working with should you be cast" Kimberley says as I hear her rifling some papers around. "Did you see the request from Marvel?" She now queries.

"Yeah, what the hell is that all about?" I ask, looking through my emails at what has been sent through to me. "They want me to have a meeting with them".

Kimberley lets out a 'hmmm' and I wonder whether they've told her anything. "Want me to confirm that too?"

"Yeah, could be interesting to see what they want from me, if anything".

"Speaking of Marvel, how's the whole Chris thing? Has he tried to contact you since Graham Norton?"

I sigh. "No, and I don't blame him. Why should he after what happened? What's done is done. We said what we needed to".

"You were always going to cross paths at some point, I mean you're both in the same business so to avoid it for as long as you have is really something".

I curl up on the sofa and idly flip through a magazine, "anyway, enough about Chris. It's in the past - confirm Marvel and Apple TV for me and send me through the details".

"Will do, speak later" She rings off and I sit back more.

It's past.

The past can only stay in its place for so long, but now it's going to hit me like a train once more.

And it's no more than I deserve. 

**

My days are taken up with filming for current projects and before I know it, I'm heading to an early morning meeting with the casting director as well as the producers for the show that I've been approached for.

As I walk in they're sat around a table, and I'm looking forward to getting down to business...

Until I see him...

Oh shit.

Chris is here and now our eyes lock the room feels like it's spinning, the air simply sucked from it.

Suck it up Fallon. Just smile, say hi and sit down. My mind is literally screaming.

Suck it up? I've sucked this man up more times than I can count, and I'm tired of now suddenly finding myself having to be thrown at him again.

"We just keep bumping into one another don't we Evans?" I say smoothly as we all sit down and begin.

He smiles and tries to hide it with the usual hang of the head. "Seems like we do St James".

"Chris is one of our executive producers on the show, he's also going to be playing the role of Andy - so your husband". One of the producers helpfully puts in.

I swear someone is out to get me.

"I see, well, shall we get started then?" I now look around and take an awkward sip of my coffee to conceal how I really feel about this".

"Okay, so let's start with outlining the plan for what will happen, talk more about Andy and Laurie and then we'll read through a scene to see how you guys work together". The casting agent suggests.

I know how we work, and they most certainly all know how we both ended up.

Part of me is wondering whether they thought this would be a great idea to throw the exes back together and see whether they still have the chemistry there that they did all those years ago.

I can answer their questions straight away.

We do.

Even I'm not stupid enough to notice that something still lingers just a little, and if I do somehow land this part? Then everyone else will probably see through the acting too.